Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
With Rogers etc if i dont have 3g signal thne it drops down to GSM etc but with Wind what happens is there isn't hspa available does it roam to rogers or have no service?
It roams on Rogers GSM/Edge network.

voice-25c/min
data -10c/25kb (ouch!)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I find these plans quite underwhelming personally. Sure they are a bit better than the big 3 but not anything to write home about. Maybe when they expand their service area... Right now a lot of the unlimited stuff they advertise are not available the second you step out of Calgary or Toronto...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I find these plans quite underwhelming personally. Sure they are a bit better than the big 3 but not anything to write home about. Maybe when they expand their service area... Right now a lot of the unlimited stuff they advertise are not available the second you step out of Calgary or Toronto...
True, but keep in mind that with the "big 3", you pay roaming charges once you step outside of your local calling area, and the 25c/min from Wind is less than the ~35c/min that the others ding you for roaming.
The only time you're worse off with Wind is if you are roaming and make a local call - it's still 25c/min whereas it would be part of your local minutes with the other guys.
If you're in Toronto or Calgary and would have Wind coverage most of the time, the plans look awfully good compared to what the incumbents offer.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Globalive paid $442 million for that spectrum. They have to pay for that somehow so I am not surprised that many will find the plans "underwhelming"!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have a dumb question and its applicable to all service providers (although I'm more interest in Wind). I currently do not own a smart phone and am with Rogers. If I upgrade or purchase a Blackberry and want to use GPS functionality, does this come from a data plan? Or do I need to buy some additional plan? Hugh's post, or should I say Wind's release, isn't specific in this regard.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a dumb question and its applicable to all service providers (although I'm more interest in Wind). I currently do not own a smart phone and am with Rogers. If I upgrade or purchase a Blackberry and want to use GPS functionality, does this come from a data plan? Or do I need to buy some additional plan? Hugh's post, or should I say Wind's release, isn't specific in this regard.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think it depends on the GPS App. Ie if you use the GPS functionality over Google Maps, then for sure you'd be using Data. Do you have to have a Data plan? No, but you'll be charged at 10c per 25KB

djino

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ok thanks. A follow up dumb question. All i really want is a) a phone for limited use and b) a phone that can give me directions (don't want to buy a tom-tom) and c) a phone that has big fonts (so i can read who's calling) and d) a world phone (in case we travel), all for a cheaper price. I'm thinking Wind and a Blackberry may be the cheapest option. The cost of the phone isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
True, but keep in mind that with the "big 3", you pay roaming charges once you step outside of your local calling area.
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.
The favourites option, on some plans, can be selected for no extra costs. I have a relatively modest shared minutes plan and got to choose whether I wanted national favourites, early evenings and weekends or unlimited incoming. Nationwide calling to family and closest friends made most sense to me while other will choose something else.

Having looked at the WIND plans, they are competitive for users who stick close to home when that home is downtown Toronto or Calgary (and a few other cities at an unknown future date). Consumers really need to know their calling patterns and needs and compare the offerings from each company carefully. I may spend 90% of my year in the GTA (but too far out in the suburbs to use WIND at home) but having to pay twice to roam outside the city would not be acceptable.

There will be customers who jump at the sound of "unlimited" without paying attention to the details. AND, there will be complaints in the media and on the net when they get their bills and find roaming charges equaling or exceeding their WIND service fee. I wonder if WIND has ensured that calls will only be carried on its network when in the physical geographic "home zone" or will we have a repeat of the experience when Fido customers went underground in Toronto and got hit with roaming fees because there was no Fido service but Rogers' did. How long before the first complaint that roaming was charged for a call received on "The Path"?

It will be interesting to observe how WIND, DAVE and Public Mobile try to get the most attention. WIND certainly has the 'buzz' now but that will change when the other two start to roll-out. WIND certainly won't be the only competitor, a reputation it has unfairly garnered in recent months due to the silence of the other newcomers. And it will be interesting to observe how the 3 incumbents adjust their plans, options and marketing to convey the message that they remain the best value. With loyalty bonuses, bundling discounts and larger networks they not exactly down and out. Telus' aggressive revenue target for 2010 bear witness to that.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Obviously, what rosenqui meant to say is that the Big 3 charge "long distance", not "roaming", once you step outside your local calling area. It is 35c/min and it is more expensive than WIND's 25c/min - so WIND is better there too. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't expect there to be roaming charges if you are in the Home Zone and for some reason you lose connection and hook to a Rogers tower instead - at least with Fido that never happened to me during the transition period - they charged extra only when you are outside the city limits (as they continue to do now, btw). I can safely predict that WIND will be waiving any accidental roaming charges incurred in the Home Zone.
The way I see it - WIND has the absolute perfect prices for my lifestyle - I travel every day, but only within their Home Zone of Calgary, almost never use my phone while outside of the zone, and would also appreciate the more than excellent US roaming rates they offer. The reason I won't switch is that I have an iPhone with the fully reasonable promotional data plan of $30/6GB, and WIND does not offer an iPhone yet. But if you like Blackberry, the WIND offer is a killer.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
One thing that WIND doesn't have going for them is the ability to bundle... I admit I haven't done the math but personally I prefer to get my Internet, TV and phone on the same bill. I don't have my mobile on my bill since work pays for it but if I had a personal one that's where it would go... This is something that Bell, Telus, Rogers and even Videotron can do today but not WIND...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
One of the other good things about Wind is that you only pay $0.25 for roaming when you are in the US. This destroys any of the roaming charges you receive from the big three while in the US. Another good feature is that your received texts are unlimited anywhere in the world. This along with the fact that texts sent to Canad and the US are included in your text option. I think these plans are great. I am looking forward to Wind's launch in Calgary this Friday.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've read today the Wind plans to introduce between 10-14 news phones during 2010. I hope they have a nice selection by the time they open shop in Ottawa. Or a the very least offer SIM cards without a phone purchase.

I've also read that the unused minutes from the $15 plan can be carried over to the next month. I haven't seen any confirmatin of this though.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've read today the Wind plans to introduce between 10-14 news phones during 2010. I hope they have a nice selection by the time they open shop in Ottawa. Or a the very least offer SIM cards without a phone purchase.

I've also read that the unused minutes from the $15 plan can be carried over to the next month. I haven't seen any confirmatin of this though.
Interesting... thanks for the updates. Hope they are accurate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't have my mobile on my bill since work pays for it but if I had a personal one that's where it would go... This is something that Bell, Telus, Rogers and even Videotron can do today but not WIND...
Have you ever seen a Rogers bill with multiple services on it? It's more convoluted and unnecessarily complicated than an electronics manual that was (poorly) translated into English from Japanese. I wish I could get 3 separate bills from Rogers for my services.

This is the lamest complaint I've heard about WIND to date. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good news! Looks like WIND will be selling SIM cards soon.

From their FAQ.

Question

Can I buy a SIM card only?

Answer

To everyone who's commented about SIM card only sales, thank you very much for your feedback. We're listening. The WIND team is working diligently towards a solution where you will be able to have service with us without having to purchase a handset. The goal is to have this in place by the end of next week. Hope you don’t mind having to wait that long and we will try our best to inform members once it is available or give us a call or email/blog us if you are getting impatient.

Bear in mind though that the N900 or other phones may or may not be compatible with our network and you would have to “qualify” it in person at one of our stores with the help of one of our team members.

Your suggestions are what will make WIND Mobile the best company in Canada, so please keep them coming.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts