Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please provide some feedback as to the quality, or lack thereof, of this provider and has the Internet stick that they sell ever been cheaper than the $100. they are currently selling ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wind data

Wind data is good and fast (BB9700) I use it as a modem for my IBM laptop.
No problems at all works well even when the cell levels are very low.
(Have even run a credit card machine over it in an emergency)

Dont know about the stick prices!:)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've tethered my phone as a test before and it's quite good, despite the low signal where I am right now.
I had like 1 bar and could still get 1.5mbps (D)/500kbps(U)
I'm about 1.5km from the nearest tower.

At work or the dr's office, both of which are directly across the street from antennae, I've ran speedtests on my phone and gotten 3-4mbps/600kbps.

Note that you'll never see 7.2mbps.
That's the theoretical max in a perfect world with zero interference :p

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I have seen 6 and change on Rogers. I've also had 1.25 Mb/s on upload, which is actually better than with the 10/1 cable modem service I get at home.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I think briefly the E181 was on sale for $80.

Wind's wireless internet service will be pretty good as long as you get signal. You'll get decent speeds without a hard cap. The problem is just whether you'll get signal where you are. You might want to consider getting one of the Huawei touch screen phones they have on sale right now for $35 just to test signal in your area.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've tethered my phone as a test before and it's quite good, despite the low signal where I am right now.
I had like 1 bar and could still get 1.5mbps (D)/500kbps(U)
I'm about 1.5km from the nearest tower.

At work or the dr's office, both of which are directly across the street from antennae, I've ran speedtests on my phone and gotten 3-4mbps/600kbps.

That's the theoretical max in a perfect world with zero interference :p
Did you get charged extra for data used during tethering? I've been curious to try, but didn't want to end up paying a bundle in data usage.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
As long as you don't exceed your bandwidth, it doesn't matter how the data is used. After all, it'd be ludicrous to have a 6 GB plan and not be allowed to use tethering or be charged extra for it. After all, data is data, no matter what device or service is using it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yep. Data is data.
Unlike the big 3, wind openly allows tethering, no additional charge.
And on the unlimited, they typically dont throttle past 5gb unless absolutely necessary. I'm sure Robelus wouldn't waste a second to throttle you to a crawl (if they even offered an unlimited plan :p)

Note: you can tether with mobilicity as well, but I believe their terms prohibit it (last I heard, haven't read them since launch), so not sure if they'd cut you off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use a Wind internet stick with a Craddlepoint 3G router and directly in my laptop. So far, everywhere I've been that they say has coverage does. Data speed varies with location. Most of the time download tests 6-6.5 Mb/s and upload almost always .35 Mb/s but speed depends on location and network traffic. Internet stick normally sells for $100 but has been on sale for $80.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Unlike the big 3, wind openly allows tethering, no additional charge.
With Rogers, I believe tethering is permitted on all but the 500 MB plan. They've changed the web site, so I can't find the specific info.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had to call Wind for a different reason, so I asked them about the cost for tethering (assuming my phone will even do it). Apparently it's included at no extra charge, but you're still limited to your data plan (which I assumed, of course). Since my plan is only 50MB, obviously I'd burn through it pretty fast and get charged for the additional data. But I wouldn't be charged as long as I stayed within my allotted data.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wind 25 + 25 plan rocks!

I just signed up for the 25 voice unlimited and 25 mobile unlimited got 3x 35$ phones Huawei and use them 1 mp3 player, 1 voice, 1 email and modem. All work as it should and data speeds are around 3Mb/200k. Not bad and not need more. Hurry up guys

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Telus also allows tethering on their data plans. I am on the 500mb plan, and I am allowed tethering on my iPhone.
Really?
Perhaps it's an iphone-only plan? (or for Telus West?)

My sister-in-law has a BB with them and they want to charge her pay-per-use rates for tethering, regardless of your data plan. Though if she had a usb modem she could use her normal data plan with her current SIM. It doesn't make much sense to me, but who knows what's going on with them..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yes, wind modem sims can be put into phones and used for data + text only.
A good option if someone uses little to no voice - just get yourself a modem sim with unlimited data and maybe unlimited text, and use VOIP for voice calls.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use a Wind internet stick with a Craddlepoint 3G router and directly in my laptop. So far, everywhere I've been that they say has coverage does. Data speed varies with location. Most of the time download tests 6-6.5 Mb/s and upload almost always .35 Mb/s but speed depends on location and network traffic. Internet stick normally sells for $100 but has been on sale for $80.
Which Cradlepoint router are you using?

I have the E181 as well as a Samsung phone from Wind. Where I live the signal is very poor, and the phone never really can connect to Wind's network. The internet stick though can connect and get 1 bar of a signal, and downloading gets a consistent 3mbps connection. I tested by downloading some large files as well and they downloaded around 3mbps without interruption.

I've been thinking of getting a cradlepoint router or Nexus One to use this data account with.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nexus one is far better with weak signal than the gravity 2 (if that's the samsung you're referring to)
I get signal in my basement (albeit low) with N1, when I didn't with gravity)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah, its the gravity 2. Incredible, as a wind data stick (E181) a foot away from the samsung was downloading at 3mbps, but the phone couldnt get a signal.

Good to know about the N1, thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts