Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Wind Data Stick.

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  recneps77 
#1 ·
I would love to hear back from anyone using this device and how there invoice increases when you are out of the "Home" Zone.

I borrowed a Wind Data Stick from a neighbor earlier this week and was quite amazed at the speeds I obtained compared with my current only viable alternate which I have, the Rogers Portable Modem.

I checked the Wind Web Site and was surprised to see that my location is approximately 1km outside the Wind "Home" Zone. Anyway I decide to call and ask what charges would be incurred if any, if I were to connect from outside this "Home" Zone. I almost fell off my chair and think I immediately went deaf because I was sure she told me 25 cents, per 10k. I asked again, the reply was the same. I hope I heard wrong and she was saying .25 cents but still, it is not what I hoped for.

I asked how accurate the map coverage area was, she said it could vary by as much as 1km. I heard that correctly, 1 km.

I then asked how I would know, if I were in the "Home" Zone, or outside.? Her reply was, "There is no way to tell, until you get your Bill".

I then asked for my closets Store, she asked for my Postal Code, I told her and she said, we cannot supply you a Data Stick, you are NOT in our coverage Zone.

I gave up at that point.

Does anyone here have any clue, as to how to tell if I am in the "Home" Zone or outside.? Does a Wind Phone, tell you this information.? Because apparently the Data Stick does NOT.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree with rsambuca a Wind handset would tell you for sure. You can get one and check to see if you are in the zone. Then return it and get the data stick. Now I have read that the stick from mobilicity is unlocked and will work with all carriers. In the GTA people have been saying they are unable to find handsets and data sticks.. that is another option I think. I do not know does the data stick do the same thing and tell you wind home and wind away and if the speeds are fast, faster than rogers then it is a safe bet you were on the wind network.

#4 ·
This site can help, too.
http://loxcel.com/celltower

If there's a wind tower within 1km, chances are you're using home - i'd make sure though. (I'm 1.6km away from the nearest tower, yet still get decent signal at home - excellent upstairs, limited to none in the basement)
I would've thought there would be a software setting with the stick to choose the network.. I hear there's something that you can use to text, so try looking through every option of the drivers/software.
(Or did you just get the stick and nothing else?)

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have asked at 2 different Wind Stores if I can borrow a phone for a couple of hours and check for the "Home" signal, but said No.

recneps77; That map is great, thanks. Sadly it shows a tower 5.5kms from my location, so I guess I am out of luck.

As for the software, I have asked at the Stores, they have no idea at all of how to tell with a Data Stick, if I am outside "Home". Same answer from the 4 CSR's I have called at Wind.

So right now, I am staying with my Rogers Portable Internet.

Thanks again.

#12 ·
I've been using a Wind Stick since September last year. I use their coverage map as a guideline. Connection speed very good, usually 5-6.5 mb/s. I use on a MacBook and Connection Manager tells you if you're in a Wind Zone. Since Wind uses a different frequency to others, the only thing it could switch to would be Rogers 2G. I don't think the internet sticks will even do this, so as far as I know, it won't work out of a Wind Zone, but haven't tried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.