Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Wind Data Stick.

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  recneps77 
#1 ·
I would love to hear back from anyone using this device and how there invoice increases when you are out of the "Home" Zone.

I borrowed a Wind Data Stick from a neighbor earlier this week and was quite amazed at the speeds I obtained compared with my current only viable alternate which I have, the Rogers Portable Modem.

I checked the Wind Web Site and was surprised to see that my location is approximately 1km outside the Wind "Home" Zone. Anyway I decide to call and ask what charges would be incurred if any, if I were to connect from outside this "Home" Zone. I almost fell off my chair and think I immediately went deaf because I was sure she told me 25 cents, per 10k. I asked again, the reply was the same. I hope I heard wrong and she was saying .25 cents but still, it is not what I hoped for.

I asked how accurate the map coverage area was, she said it could vary by as much as 1km. I heard that correctly, 1 km.

I then asked how I would know, if I were in the "Home" Zone, or outside.? Her reply was, "There is no way to tell, until you get your Bill".

I then asked for my closets Store, she asked for my Postal Code, I told her and she said, we cannot supply you a Data Stick, you are NOT in our coverage Zone.

I gave up at that point.

Does anyone here have any clue, as to how to tell if I am in the "Home" Zone or outside.? Does a Wind Phone, tell you this information.? Because apparently the Data Stick does NOT.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have asked at 2 different Wind Stores if I can borrow a phone for a couple of hours and check for the "Home" signal, but said No.

recneps77; That map is great, thanks. Sadly it shows a tower 5.5kms from my location, so I guess I am out of luck.

As for the software, I have asked at the Stores, they have no idea at all of how to tell with a Data Stick, if I am outside "Home". Same answer from the 4 CSR's I have called at Wind.

So right now, I am staying with my Rogers Portable Internet.

Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
500Mb.

Nowhere near enough for my use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.