Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,769 Posts
As echoed by everyone - 911 cannot be blocked by a provider, by law any phone capable of connecting (i.e. compatible frequency) must be given access.

The issue is most likely the device.
Both phones I've had were set to wind home manually.
When there was no signal, it would switch to rogers, but in emergency mode only. (no calls or texts would go in or out, except to 911)

Related note - for any family member who doesn't have/want a cell phone, give them any old one you might have for them to throw in their car/purse/etc in case they need 911.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
So let me understand you all on this.. 911 works even if the networks are disabled? Careful I said disabled.
Can you roam in a home zone ? No, the answer is no.
So IF I am roaming in a home zone,Wind is not present and the roaming network ( Rogers ) is disabled. So how can I dial 911? Winds answer is.. turn off the handset, remove the battery and sim wait 30-60 seconds and then make the call.

When I asked further it was explained that when they bar the roaming network it " can " bar any and all network(s) communication with the network(s)

I am interested how this all will play out.
That would be a problem with your handset.
911 cannot be blocked. If the call isn't connecting, your phone isn't working properly.
Wind nor rogers have no say in what device can call 911.
Any phone, even un-activated/no sim in it is granted unrestricted access to 911.

"Disabled" just means you cannot make (regular) calls, texts, or use data.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
It's a case of the people ruining it for other people.
Instead of allowing unrestricted roaming, and giving people the choice to roam if they wished (knowing full well the costs), they had to block it because of what Colin mentioned.

People would be using away-only either intentionally or unintentionally (we hope more fall into this column, but sadly there are many who would not).

This resulted in a huge bill that rogers was going to collect on either way, and the customer would refuse to pay it to wind. Because of this they had to shut off roaming in inner coverage areas.
The edges are still roam-enabled, I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.