Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
William Houston's blog is no more. He's pulled the plug on it, saying he will be out of the country for a while and IF it starts up again, sports will only make up a small part of the subject matter.

He'd become quite acerbic and a bit nasty in some of his stuff. One particular column earlier this year caused a huge stir and no end of grief for him, even to the point where the comments section had to be closed down.

He may have held some bitterness over his departure from the G&M. Still it was a pretty entertaining column and we could use all of those we can find.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, I liked Houston's take on things. He was/is a bit pompous but that's not really a flaw for a sports reporter..Howard Cosell et al would no doubt agree.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I will miss his writing for one. Sure he stirred it up a bit, and that is probably the main reason that he is shutting it down. I think that it went from being a job (with the G&M) to being a hobby, to almost being a full time job again, which he didn't want. I hope that he comes back with the odd piece now and then.

I sent him an email wishing him a good retirement (I felt I owed it to him because he helped me whenever I asked a question, which wasn't often). He replied and said thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was a regular until the column that Boca Junior referred to. Houston then told his audience to go F*** yourself because most didn't agree with that column. That comment prompted me to delete his site from my favourites.

No doubt his web site's traffic went way down after that. I suspect that is the reason he bailed as it was taking too much time to write for what was probably was only family and friends reading it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think that his comment was directed at a few people who were posting under various names. They were basically spamming the comments section with personal hate towards him (not just his piece). I don't think it was intended for the average reader, I have criticized Bill before and anytime I've talked to him (email, comments etc.) he has said he respects my (and others') opinion. Of course it didn't come across this way, but I don't think he intended to slander everyone who read his stuff.

I was told by the site admin that these same people had created a fake Bill Houston twitter account that they were presenting as though it really was Bill's too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the proverbial last straw may have been when he personally slammed Chris Zelkovich (and one or two others). Maybe he realized that he had crossed the line and it was time to move on. His credibility sure took a direct hit among many loyal readers. The column was never the same and I believe he truly regrets that particular blog.

I've exchanged many e-mails with both Houston and Zelkovich and they are both class acts. I wish Mr Houston well in whatever he does.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No, he blasted James Mirtle (who basically replaced Houston at The Globe as a hockey writer) for not naming a souce inside the Maple Leafs dressing room. You can read a slightly edited version of the article here.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
"Zelkovich is done" implies he's been fired by the Sun. He hasn't and is still a columnist and reporter. Only Sports Media Watch has been ended. I agree that it's too bad, he was better than Houston and Dowbiggin isn't very good at all.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Andrew, I doubt that they will, I haven't seen the ratings for weeks. However, I have emailed BBM to ask them if there is anyway that they could make them public on their site.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Zelkovich is done" implies he's been fired by the Sun J Canuck hope you mean the Star. So now I am totally confused. Does Chris Z still write a column for the Star or not?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that really stinks. I always looked forward to Chris's blog each Monday, and I loved the "Good, Bad & Ugly" section.

Hardly worth visiting The Star sports section at all now. Certainly not to read Damien Cox or Richard Griffin.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So now we have virtually no coverage of sports media in any of the big Canadian newspapers. Does anyone know of a source for getting the weekly ratings?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts