Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What area do you happen to live in Onetrack? I was thinking of picking up a Zopo C2 which also only supports the 850 band, I found this thread after googling to make sure the lack of 1900mhz support wouldn't affect it too much. According to the people posting in this thread over at Howardforums it works fine in Southern Ontario, I'd like to know if your experience contradicts that.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Bought this from overseas Chinese vendor. Wanted to get it to work on a Bell network, but sim card wouldn't recognize it, no signal. Tried that with both Telus and Virgin, same results. Rogers on the other hand works, both voice and data, but data is on Edge only, tried Fido, voice works, but data says it's Roaming on Rogers network. Greater Vancouver Area

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
It does have the 850MHz band, but I'm guessing there are no towers that are using the 850MHz frequency in your area. Since the phone doesn't support WCDMA 1900MHz, you won't get any service with Bell or Telus where you are at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping that bell would have a 850mhz signal out here in vancouver, i know of some one that has the same phone and has it working on bell back east in the maritimes.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Yeah, the D550a does indeed support both 850 & 1900MHz. The D550i only support 850MHz here.

Do you have another phone to verify your SIM is working and you have network coverage there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, the D550a does indeed support both 850 & 1900MHz. The D550i only support 850MHz here.

Do you have another phone to verify your SIM is working and you have network coverage there?
I get a signal with both bell and telus sim in my other phone, I also typed in the imei # at telus and bell and it said not recognized, same at bell, telus and bell is the only ones I get a signal from here, I can see their tower from my front window.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea it was the 550a the sim slots are marked #1 GSM #2 is HSDPA/UMTS, looked in the software and couldn't find anywhere to select, anyway I got pissed off and decided to send it back, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
dayum thats an old phone yes Toronto colin is correct, its a GSM ONLY (2G) phone, will only operate on GSM carriers in Canada and usa using those frequencies. Bellus (Bell and Telus) have a service called UTMS/WCDMA which is a 3G service, so phones that are 2G will not see 3G networks nor can not use them nor will they not connect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More chinese phone questions

Hi all, this thread was really helpful in figuring out what all the network bands mean, but it's still a bit confusing.

I found some phones from China listed as this:
Phone Standard GSM, WCDMA, GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSPA+

but then they list the network frequencies as GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/2100MHz

So is this HSPA thing false or am I misunderstanding how it works?

From my understanding most China phones support something like GSM 850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA 850/2100 which would mean it would work limited on Telus with their old CDMA network and with 2G speed with full coverage on Rogers. So what is with some of the phones listed as HSPA+ "standard"?

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Depending on the phone manufacturer or retailer, you may see HSPA referred to as HSPA, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, WCDMA, or UMTS. For the purpose of determining whether a phone will work on a wireless network, those all mean the same thing.

For a phone to work with the Bell/Telus wireless network, it must have 850 and 1900. One or the other will give only partial coverage with no fallback, and there is no way to know where Bell/Telus use each of those frequencies without testing. None of these phones can connect to Bell or Telus' old CDMA networks.

For a phone to work with Rogers' HSPA network, it must have the same frequencies. However, Rogers also operates a 2G GSM network that can be used for calls, SMS, and very slow data, which devices can fall back upon when they cannot connect to HSPA. The GSM network requires the same two bands, but they're pretty standard on nearly all GSM phones these days.

So, you're right about the way it would work with Rogers, but it would probably be even worse than you likely expected on Telus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So hypothetically a phone with WCDMA 850 should be able to get 3G speed with Belus?

I'm just wondering what the difference is if it specifies HSPA+. Wikipedia kind of confused me because it lists Telus as having an HSPA+ network and nothing about WCDMA. After spending way too long reading about this, my understanding is now that WCDMA is the network and HSPA+ is the technology to make it faster?

I don't know how accurate this is but according to Loxcel all the towers in my area for Telus are 850's.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
but then they list the network frequencies as GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/2100MHz
I recently bought a Google Nexus 5. Here's what it supports:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
CDMA 800 / 1900 - North America version
3G Network HSDPA 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 900 - North America version
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 700 / 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - North America version
LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

This should give you some idea about the various bands.

It would appear the Nexus 5 also supports the 2G CDMA that Bell & Telus use.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts