Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
How is EDGE speed - I'm assuming its kinda slow? Is it enough for checking email and light app use - such as Google latitude and Google maps with GPS?

It looks like Bell doesn't sell any Android phones that has the UMTS 2100 frequency. The only phones that do are the iPhone and some Blackberrys.

I guess if I want 3G in France and still be able to use Bell network when in Toronto then I need to buy a unlocked Quadband phone? Or buy a quadband android phone from one of the other carriers and get it unlocked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi,
i got a situation , i am currently on a telus network, my phone died on me and i am thinking of buying the new samsung wave gts8500 but the carrier is bell ,i understand that the phone specs should be compatible with telus however on telus site, it says that it is not

how could this be, if the phone specs are supported by telus?

Supported 2G Modes/Bands : GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
Supported 3G Modes/Bands : HSPA 850/1900 MHz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply ,

but is it 100% sure that it'll work when i unlock it or is there a possibility that it wont work, how unlikely will it not work on the telus network?
I am asking this, because on Telus site, it says that the device is not compatible to its network.
plus the phone is 300 +tax so i dont want spend that amount on something that wont work

Thnx

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Agreed with TorontoColin. The bands listed are compatable with Telus, so unless they have some jedi mindtrick to block the phone once its unlocked from accessing their system, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you my fellow men, its greatly appreciated when people are not trying to fudge u over for your hard earned money.
I'll get the phone and will let yall know where it stands.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I agree with TorotoColin. The link you provided lists the following

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS/HSPA 900/2100
UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100
Notice the 800 and not the 850. Phones on the new network need 850/1900 UMTS. So its missing a band. You MAY get some reduced coverage in areas that are 1900 only, but it won't be reliable enough.

The phone is probably good for Rogers on their GSM network though.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
800 vs 850 depends on where you are in the world. In North America, 850 is used, 800 in Europe. If it was easy add 850, the manufacturer would have likely done so to increase potential market.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
AFAIK, Bell/Telus/Rogers don't actually use 1900 in their HSPA networks, they're entirely 850. They have the 1900 band though, so if they ever want to they can expand.
I can confirm that Bell does use the 1900MHz band. As I've played around with many custom roms on my Galaxy S, I've run into cases where the 850MHz band is disabled and my phone is forced to go onto the 1900MHz band until I updated the modem file. This was verified in the phone's engineering mode.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That 800/1900/2100 is almost certainly really a reference to 850/1900/2100. The 800 band for UMTS is pretty much Japan exclusive and SE groups 900/2100 and 850/1900/2100 on their international (i) versions and North American (a) versions respectively for most phones; 800 appears on their Japan market phones only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a bit around here and you guys have been very informative and answered a lot of questions I had. However, I was wondering if you could help me out on this. I'm pretty sure this would work but I want to run it by you guys first as you are the experts after all.

I'm with Telus and would like to buy an Unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro

I'm pretty sure this would work as it seems to support the Telus frequency. Can someone please confirm this? Thanks in advance!

41 - 60 of 132 Posts