Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
As above and are you using a activated Rogers SIM card?
Maybe there is no agreement between Rogers and the SIM card carrier that is in the unit, if their is any SIM card at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't tried a Rogers sim card yet, only a TELUS card that I happened to have.

So this device doesn't support HSPA, just GSM? Does that limit my data speed?

·
Registered
647 Posts
That would be why then.

As for Data, ya! Big Time
GSM data rates are around 10-15 Kbps
EDGE will do 400K to 1M
The new HSPA has been tested up to 21 Mbps. (Category 14)
HSPA can potentially do up to 85M

Check the phone spec as they are often in the 3-7 Mbps unless it's a very latest model or some internet stick.

Is the E77 basked on the Nokia E series?
I had a E71 from Telus, dumped it for a Blackberry Bold 9000 from Rogers (it supports HDPA as well as GSM) unlocked it, put in my Telus SIM and runs like a dream. Has WiFi as well.

TELUS only sells the BB Bold II 9700 for HSPA and some others like iPhone and E71 and some nice HTC's.

You really want HSPA with GSM backward compatibility and unlocked for traveling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great information - Thank you!

Too bad it's just a GSM phone and the data rates will be limited. That's what I get for buying a knock-off in China :)

I don't know what it's modelled after inside.

I went to a Rogers store, put a GSM card inside and was able to make voice calls. I wasn't able to get data working but then my phone may require additional set-up. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Keith

·
Registered
647 Posts
You would also need to subscribe to a DATA plan as well.
They are different depending upon the phone protocols.

So a iPhone plan is different than a Blackberry plan and probably a Windows Mobile plan.
I suspect pricing is the same, but they are set up differently.

Eg: my Telus HSPA Nokia E71 plan was transferred to a Blackberry, same price, but the way they handle email and data is different.

As for China, I get almost weekly mail from China with ebay technology purchases and as long as you shop carefully and know what you are getting, then usually not a problem.
Eg: computer 120MM case fans that our local computer shop sells for $20, I get for $2+shipping or about $7.
Sure I have to wait a couple of weeks, so I stock up in advance.
With the amount of PC's around here (12+), I don't mind keeping a case of fans on hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple days back i noticed this phone & am quite interested in gettin it. Problem is looking at the phones frequencies i am not sure which network it will work. Would it work with any of the major phone carriers we have in ontario (including windmobile or mobilicity)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
htc touch hd

ok ive been with telus for quite awhile now and recently i broke my phone.. i went to the store and got a sim card its my first time getting one with telus..
i got the htxch touch hd from a friend unlocked and everything but i cant get any signal or network wuts the problem?? can some1 pls help...
the reps at the store said its either your phone or its not unlockied i dont think they knew what they were talkin about

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looking at the Product Page for the Touch HD, it appears that phone only supports HSPA 900/2100MHz. These frequencies are incompatible with Bell & Telus. It does support 850MHz & 1900MHz GSM frequencies though, so it would work on Rogers (just not at 3G speeds).

Judging from an Engadget article posted about this phone, HTC didn't produce a North American version of this phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quick question

ok so i think im close to a thread revival here :p

ok so basically i am with telus and looking to get a rogers BB bold 9700 from what i see its fully compatible just wanted to be sure since its 400$ i have to spend.. btw its unlocked if not i will do it. any concerns on what i should verify berfore buying it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm using a Rogers BB 9000 Bold 1 on TELUS just fine after it was unlocked.
TELUS only sells the 9700 Bold II, so I would think you should have no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bell

ok so its a former bell bb bold 9700 so i dont think bell has any former corpo restrictions on it... did anybody doo it yet?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That phone will not work (post #8 has an image that shows this). The phone will work in EDGE mode (not 3G) on Rogers/Fido, but that's it.

In general, phones from overseas will not work on Bell or Telus since they don't usually support the correct 3G frequencies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm also looking for some clarification on a phone.

I have a friend that has a phone from France. The phone is a Samsung GT-S5620 and its branded with "Orange" which is the telecom company there.

From what I can find on the samsung website this phone supports:
Bandes GSM&EDGE Quadri-Band (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz)

There is also this link to the Orange website with the details about the phone. It looks like they call it the Samsung Player Star 2 They have a check mark besides 3G but don't list the frequency.....

Am I correct in saying that this phone will not work on Bell/Telus.

If not, can you recommend an Android phone that will work both on the Bell/Telus network and on the Orange network in France.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
That phone will not work on Bell or Telus, unless it has HSPA 850/1900, though you could use it on 2G GSM/EDGE with Rogers/Fido/Chatr.

I'm not familiar with Orange's phones, but what you need is a phone that supports HSPA 850/1900. You might have more luck finding a North American phone that supports Orange's frequencies. As far as I can tell, they use 900/1800 for GSM/EDGE but just 2100 for HSPA. If that's true, most North American Android phones will work on their network, once unlocked.

Look for a phone that supports Bell, Telus, Rogers, or AT&T. You may find conflicting information on which North American phones have the 2100 band, as many North American providers don't list 2100 as they don't support it. Try and find a third party source to check. What you want is HSPA 850/1900/2100.

Edit: That's also not an Android phone, if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the reply, i know its been a while since the last reply but i'm again revisiting the issue.

If I were to buy the Samsung Glaxy S Vibrant from BELL, will it work in France on their high speed network? On Bells website the specs for the phone say that it supports the following bands: UMTS/HSPA 850/1900 and GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

I understand that in Europe they use GSM 900/1800 and 2100 for 3G? is that correct? If so, will the above phone get Internet access in France once I unlock the phone and put in a sim-card from a French carrier?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You won't have access to a 3G network, since the Bell phone doesn't support the 2100MHz UMTS frequency. If you unlocked it and put in a French-carrier SIM card, it will use EDGE only.

21 - 40 of 132 Posts