Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need:
I want to build a system to stream movies, pictures and web content to our family room TV. Also want a network storage solution to back-up all our PC in the house.

Proposed Equipment:
Acer REVO AR3610 (Cost 347.00) - Intel Atom 330 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 500GB, Nvidia ION Graphics with HDMI, HD Audio, eSATA, Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Gigabyte LAN, Card Reader, 6x USB 2.0, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.
Netgear ReadyNAS™ (Cost 239.00)NV+ 4-Bay Gigabit Desktop Network Storage.
2x Western Digital (Cost 85.00x2) 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache
Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless N Dual Band Gigabit Router (cost 100.00)
(ttl cost 856)

Software:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
XBMC (love this program – have been running for 4 years and it will play anything main reason we will not just be plugging in a PS3 and streaming from there)

Questions:
1. Any comments on this – what are the weaknesses?
2. How instant on will this be?
3. Can I use a Harmony Remote to control the XBMC/Acer Revo?
4. I plan on just Upnp to the file server from xbmc do I need to run a media server?
5. Will there be any issues with streaming Bluray (is it powerful enough)?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the Netgear ReadyNAS™ NV+ 4-Bay Gigabit Desktop at a boxing day sale for 239 which is almost 200 bucks less than I have seen it other places.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18665(ME).aspx

I bought the 2x 2tb so that I can run in RAID which is makes all good except for a physical (fire, theft). If i wanted more backup I guess i could buy 3rd drive to take off-site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info - nice to hear about the revo - I keep considering cheaping-out and just doing a PS3 install.

A little worried about blu-ray but a hard wired network with a gigabyte router direct to NAs should hopefully allow that to work. At least from my initial research.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update - system is all together now and working better than I hoped. Streaming bluray both in avi and mkv formats - No stuttering.

Streaming HD content from youtube amazing.

Inserted a new Yamaha Receiver and Quality of sound is great.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.