Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need:
I want to build a system to stream movies, pictures and web content to our family room TV. Also want a network storage solution to back-up all our PC in the house.

Proposed Equipment:
Acer REVO AR3610 (Cost 347.00) - Intel Atom 330 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 500GB, Nvidia ION Graphics with HDMI, HD Audio, eSATA, Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Gigabyte LAN, Card Reader, 6x USB 2.0, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.
Netgear ReadyNAS™ (Cost 239.00)NV+ 4-Bay Gigabit Desktop Network Storage.
2x Western Digital (Cost 85.00x2) 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache
Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless N Dual Band Gigabit Router (cost 100.00)
(ttl cost 856)

Software:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
XBMC (love this program – have been running for 4 years and it will play anything main reason we will not just be plugging in a PS3 and streaming from there)

Questions:
1. Any comments on this – what are the weaknesses?
2. How instant on will this be?
3. Can I use a Harmony Remote to control the XBMC/Acer Revo?
4. I plan on just Upnp to the file server from xbmc do I need to run a media server?
5. Will there be any issues with streaming Bluray (is it powerful enough)?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where can you find a ReadyNAS NV+ for $239? This is the price of a diskless ReadyNAS Duo.

I have a ReadyNAS duo and I am fairly happy with it. I started with 2 times 1 TB drives in them but quickly replaced them with 2 time 1.5 TB... I do some streaming from the ReadyNAS to a WD Live unit...

One concern is how to backup the NAS, Using the builtin backup of the ReadyNAS to a USB connected drive did not finish in a week...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the Netgear ReadyNAS™ NV+ 4-Bay Gigabit Desktop at a boxing day sale for 239 which is almost 200 bucks less than I have seen it other places.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18665(ME).aspx

I bought the 2x 2tb so that I can run in RAID which is makes all good except for a physical (fire, theft). If i wanted more backup I guess i could buy 3rd drive to take off-site.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use the Acer Revo with Win7 and XBMC, pulling from a DNS-323 over powerline networking.

Works very well...has never failed me. The only slight draw is that the box isn't quite powerful enough to play Blu-ray rips. Normal SD stuff is fine.

You don't need a "Media Server". A Media Server is nothing more than a NAS/Server with files on it- unless you're talking about DLNA.

I just use SMB in XBMC, and map to the NAS.
Instant on? I let the Acer sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. It starts itself back up within 10 seconds with mouse/keyboard movement.
Harmony Remote- This is a function for XBMC. You'd need a USB IR Receiver. Check the XBMC forums for all that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - nice to hear about the revo - I keep considering cheaping-out and just doing a PS3 install.

A little worried about blu-ray but a hard wired network with a gigabyte router direct to NAs should hopefully allow that to work. At least from my initial research.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I plan on just Upnp to the file server from xbmc do I need to run a media server?
A media server is only necessary if you want transcoding of files.

The only slight draw is that the box isn't quite powerful enough to play Blu-ray rips.
Cambo does your unit have the Intel Atom 330 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz?

I've thought about a small form factor PC but I want the ability to play Blu-ray rips.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I looked into XBMC as well as I had it for years on my modded XBOX1.

However, you need an IR dongle, like someone else posted. Why not try the Boxee app? I have it on my machine and it works great. And if you're into cool :p it is controlled by an IPhone or ITouch.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The only slight draw is that the box isn't quite powerful enough to play Blu-ray rips.
That's more likely a problem with network speed than a limitation of the server itself.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have the Revo 3610 and I can play 1080p Blu-ray rips no problem. I'm running Win 7 and using Media Portal as the front end. The 3610 has the Nvidia ION graphics subsystem with hardware acceleration so if your player and codec support DXVA it should work fine. I also pull the videos over the network via SMB but I have a wired connection. If you are using wireless then it *might* be a network issue as ScaryBob pointed out because I've found in practice that it's difficult to get much more than 10 Mb/s of actual throughput using 802.11g and 1080p rips can get into the 15 Mb/s+ range. If you're using wireless N you should have plenty of bandwidth though. The easiest way to rule the network out is to simply copy the file to a local drive and see if it plays properly that way.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks Grog, that's what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, apparently my issue is directly related to the DNS-323. There are a ton of people on the net saying the device isn't actually capable of more than 100Mbps, despite being advertised as Gigabit. My tests have validated that- I can't get more than 10Mbps.

Copying a blu-ray rip and playing directly from the Revo, and it plays fine, Hugh.

Thanks Grog and ScaryBob. Helped me out a lot with this one!!!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've had similar local network speed problems with Win7 due to IPv6. Turning it off in network properties put things back to normal. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update - system is all together now and working better than I hoped. Streaming bluray both in avi and mkv formats - No stuttering.

Streaming HD content from youtube amazing.

Inserted a new Yamaha Receiver and Quality of sound is great.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also just purchased the Revo 3610, It should arrive this week. Nice to hear its doing well for streaming. I am going to try wireless first (i have a 30mbps connection) If it doesnt work, ill hardwire. I wanted to stream from my Acer easystore h340 to my TV. Also wanted to try Boxee and XBMC. Cant wait!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts