Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or as they switch over to mpeg 4 or what ever the plan is will they force us lowly 505 owners to pay the $$$ for a 630 telling us how much I will like the PVR something that I really haven't had a huge desire to get.

·
Registered
30 Posts
or as they switch over to mpeg 4 or what ever the plan is will they force us lowly 505 owners to pay the $$$ for a 630 telling us how much I will like the PVR something that I really haven't had a huge desire to get.
The user manual for the 630 references a 605

·
Registered
647 Posts
It is in their plans, but then again, so was new 505/530 code, so who knows for sure.

It may well depend on how well the 630 rolls out.
If it's buggy and they have to spend all their cycles fixing it, then the 605 might be delayed a while.

They should have released the 605 to begin with and then a PVR.

The 530 was built on the 500 foundation.
And so should the 630 be based on a 605 hardware foundation.

Or maybe the 605 DOES have plans for an EHD like just about every other HD nonpvr box, but they can't figure out how to implement an external hard drive to record on.
They certainly don't want to blow on a failed/missed feature as their is a lot of bad blood for their past actions.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
I bet you that you WILL be able to record (externally) with the 605 from the get-go and thats the reason they are holding it back b/c most people would go for the cheaper option (instead of forking out for the 630) since it'll be PVRable as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bet you that you WILL be able to record (externally) with the 605 from the get-go and thats the reason they are holding it back b/c most people would go for the cheaper option (instead of forking out for the 630) since it'll be PVRable as well.
I would still spring for the 630 since having one tuner would be a real PITA.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Assuming the 605 does have recording abilities, $199 for a single tuner 605 and $100 for a 1TB drive isn't such a great PVR deal.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think the price point will be more like $149...
The 605 should appear within 8 weeks of the 630 launch. A csr told me that the 605 is still being worked on, which leads me to also believe that the EHD option will be available at launch.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yea I was also told by a CSR that they are still working on the 605 and that she would make sure I get an email as soon as they find out when it will be released. I'm hoping it will be out by Christmas at the latest.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask jim....

said basically the same thing. They would not give a date at all but confirmed that the bugs are being ironed out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Assuming the 605 does have recording abilities, $199 for a single tuner 605 and $100 for a 1TB drive isn't such a great PVR deal.
It is if you already have a few unused drives laying around! I got enough free space that I could spare a drive for some PVR fonction on a 605! At 199$ I agree that it too close to the 630 price but at a lower price point like 99$ that another story!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Should the question best be WHEN will there be a 605 rather than WILL there be a 605. (Or maybe not as I read more of my post)

Since the 630 shows no functionality on external ports, what reason would we have to believe a 605 will record someday?

They could have done that with 505's, but didn't, or couldn't.

Unless the price point is so low (<$99) then one is better off with a 630 for the LOD and dual tuners.

If that is the case, then the 605 just becomes a rebadged 505 function wise.

There would be NO incentive to activate the ports and create competition for the flagship 630.
If they do, supporting any 3rd party harddrives is a nightmare, so count on being hosed beau coup $$ for a wimpy slow undersized harddrive.

If you want this type of entry, then consider options from BTV's 6131 with EHD or TELUS Optik and use thin clients.

It's a LONG ways off before your will ever see 3 year old technology on any SD boxes.

Other than possible future proofing the 605 with DVB-S2 tuners, and that's not confirmed, the 605 has no real spot in the lineup.

If you think they are smart enough to add new tuners, what were they thinking when the XX7 was forced to become XX9.

I'm sure they figured the annual September price increase will cover the cost to spin a 7XX program to deliver what should have been in 5XX and 6XX generation boxes with 6XX ONLY adding a possible new tuner as the feature set was already defined for 5XX.
Oh and an upgraded HDMI port over the infamous DVI port.
Changing the connector doesn't guarantee HDCP and repeater compatibility.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no waiting for me..

i have a 505 that i can't wait to trash/smash/crash etc.. since it's new i hated it why because of it's dinosaur dvi plug..:mad: now the 630 is out and i won't be waiting for it, shure it will be less costly to get the 605 but look at the deals we can all haveon the 630+ it records! so i went for it! will be getting a new 630 .no more time to wait for the 605.. will see when the 630 will be giving me some headache!:p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me to cant wait

i have a 505 that i can't wait to trash/smash/crash etc.. since it's new i hated it why because of it's dinosaur dvi plug..:mad: now the 630 is out and i won't be waiting for it, shure it will be less costly to get the 605 but look at the deals we can all haveon the 630+ it records! so i went for it! will be getting a new 630 .no more time to wait for the 605.. will see when the 630 will be giving me some headache!:p
not sure why I cant wait, if there was no 630 Id be happy with my 505 but now that its out..... ordered it Sunday. got a sweet deal to boot.

I like the idea of the PVR and LOD hey nothing like pausing when the martini glass needs filling. so I went for it. I will still use Component since that is how I am set up for now. unless there is a real advantage to HDMI but I doubt that there really is, at least for me.

The plan is to put the 630 in the living room, move the 505 to the bedroom and the 317 from the bedroom to one of the kids. I put it on the dining room table and sell it to the highest bidder (chore hours) and the first chore is to help run the new RG6 cables.

·
Registered
647 Posts
They could probably save a pile of headaches and just discount 630's like they are doing and NEVER release a 605.

What's the point?
Support 2 new boxes?
If they add external hard drive for recording, then you loose most PVR features like dual tuner and stuff. LOD if you are recording. All sort and it's just an exercise in frustration.
A 505 should be just fine in the transition.
If they need to, then come out with a rent to own program like they did on the cable PVR's with Wells Fargo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts