1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Asking myself the same question...

My monthly Rogers bill is over $200 per month for a family of 4. About $60 is spent on two 6 GB data plans. My wife and I barely scratch the surface when it comes to bandwidth usage.

Let's see how greedy Rogers really is. I should be able to use that data whichever way I want and if the iOS allows it via tethering or personal hotspot, the only reason for Rogers not to permit this would be downright mean spirited.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nothing stops from Rogers from being able to offer this. Whether they offer it is another story.

As discussed in another thread, I wouldn't bet on it unless Telus and Bell allow it.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I think they will. While it may cut into their data plan sharing charges, there are still numerous advantages to data plan sharing. Wifi hotspot drains battery and requires you to have the iPhone with you to use it. It also adds complication and more potential points of failure. I see it as a feature more likely to be used by people with wifi iPads.

Also, in order to block it Rogers probably needs the other Canadian carriers to do the same, or else they will gather bad press and offer a competitive advantage to the other carriers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Also, in order to block it Rogers probably needs the other Canadian carriers to do the same, or else they will gather bad press and offer a competitive advantage to the other carriers.
As I noted, I think it will be "all or nothing." Either all three will allow it, or all three will not allow it.

Knowing the big three, I bet they will try to charge you an extra $5 or $10 a month on top of your data plan for the privilege.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
They'll offer this no problem as it's already available with their Android phones such as the Acer Liquid or Galaxy Captivate. No extra charge as long as you have a 1GB or higher data bucket.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Eluder, hope you are right but I wonder if Rogers, Bell and Telus have decided.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Unfortunately I think they already charge $15-$20 for the "privilege" for this Data Sharing
I have a data plan with Rogers. I don't pay anything extra for tethering to my Nexus One. On one occasion, I had 5 computers connected to the internet through it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Eluder,

I fully agree with you:
as long as your data plan with tethering on(=> 1gb/mth) you should be allowed to use that useful feature.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now the trick is when iOS 4.3 comes out, if we can actually get a CSR at Rogers that actually knew what we're talking about to get that package... :rolleyes:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
as long as your data plan with tethering on(=> 1gb/mth) you should be allowed to use that useful feature.
What's magical about the 1GB limit? Its an arbitrary barrier so I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers didn't have more arbitrary rules around this!

Again, I hope they do it but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree Hugh. The reasoning behind the 1GB limit has been that you need that if you are tethering, to avoid going over your 500mb limit. Rogers may very well say that a hotspot user would need even more since they will be sharing. They could disguise this as further user protection.

I really dislike it because my wife and I have a family plan which only allows 500MB each. If we want to switch to a 1GB plan, it would mean we have to drop the savings of the family plan and would cost us a lot more per month (obviously what they want to happen).

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think you can add another 500mb for $5/mth, but I could be wrong.

And I get why Rogers set the 1GB limit, it's cause most of their customers will not know what sort of bandwidth they'll use and instead will be calling in and b|tching for a credit when they go over their 500MB limit when they tethered.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Or maybe it's to force people to buy more expensive data plans?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You might be able to buy the extra 500MB of data for $5 but not on a family plan. I asked back in September and they told me there were no options with the family plan data - either 500MB or split up and go individual.

I use maybe 50MB a month, myself, because I am near wi-fi most of the time. Paying a lot more just to get tethering is not work it. At the same time, getting a mobile stick or hot spot is also not appealing because of the monthly charges for that!

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
It has been confirmed that Rogers will support this functionality.
Today Rogers stepped up and said yes they’ll make it available to their customers. On Redboard, Rogers stated that "Mobile hotspot on iOS 4.3 will be enabled on the Rogers network and will follow our current tethering policy. This feature will be available at no additional charge for Rogers and Fido customers who subscribe to data plans of 1GB and above."

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
That Redboard question was in response to this question "Will Rogers allow iPhone 4 users with xGB plan subscriptions to use the new ‘hotspot’ functionality built into iOS4.3?"

The way I understand it is Personal Hotspot will ONLY be available with iPhone 4.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts