Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused: I took an "MTS" HTC 6700 and added it to my Telus account without a problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The bigger question should be...why would you want to? Telus already carries the GSM version of the iPhone. Plus the Verizon iPhone, just like the AT&T version, is locked to the network so it's not exactly easy to get a hold of one just to be able to use it on dead-end technology in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If by 6700 you mean the Apache, that was a Telus device. You would never be able to use a Verizon device on Telus because Verizon would have to release a key to Telus and they don't do that.

Edit: There was at one time some CDMA phones that were sold "unlocked" and thus able to move from network to network, but those don't really exist anymore and North American CDMA carriers won't accept external devices.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
A recent teardown of the CDMA iPhone reveals the bom cost is $16 lower then the HSPA version...no doubt the result of Qualcomm's rumoured massive concessions to get a piece of the Apple pie.

If Apple is passing that on to the operators, than its conceivable that CDMA versions might appear on Bell/Telus' second-class network, maybe as a flanker label.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Unlikely. Virgin already has the iPhone 4 and I doubt Koodo or Solo would ever carry it. Given that a new iPhone is likely to be announced in June with CDMA and HSPA, why go through the effort and costs of adding a SKU now for 5 months? Especially given the consumer confusion it would cause.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I thought the CMDA version of the iPhone also allowed for it to work just like the GSM/HSPA version(?) ... IAW, to also accept a Belus SIM and work with their HSPA. Except for the argument that you could get it in white, it begs the question, and wonder, if Canadians will ever see it(?)

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Verizon CDMA version has been shown to include a Qualcomm chip that can do both CDMA and GSM but it does not include a SIM slot which is required for a GSM phone.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
It also doesn't include the antennas required for GSM/HSPA.

I can almost guarantee you that this CDMA iPhone 4 will not ever appear on Bell or Telus. What is possible (though still unlikely) is that should the next iPhone be fully equipped to use both HSPA and CDMA in a single device, then the Bell and Telus variants might be enabled to work on the CDMA network as well as the HSPA network.

·
Registered
187 Posts
TorontoColin is right - BELUS will never carry the CDMA iPhone. They're trying to migrate customers over to their HSPA network, not encourage them to stay on CDMA. Plus two versions would be a marketing nightmare.

·
Registered
187 Posts
michelb said:
Does anyone know if an unlocked CDMA Verizon iPhone would work with Telus using the 'Add device' online method?
Nope - TELUS (or any of the Cadadian carriers for that matter) will not allow foreign ESN's on their CDMA networks. You can use an HSPA iPhone on TELUS though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts