Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me that if I buy used Bell equipment (receiver, dish etc) from eBay or any other used place, all I need to do is call Bell and they will set up the install. I doubt this is true, but figured I would give it a try on here.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The very short answer is NO.

AFAIK, the only way to get a free installation is to sign a 2 year contract, with new equipment.

If you are getting the gear from E-Bay etc, just do it yourself, or look through the local ads for an Installer......

If I knew what part of Canada you were in I might be able to point you towrds one.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
How do you possibly know they are in an area that VuPoint Service.?

Are you on commission.?

Lots of others offer the EXACT same thing and some even offer free HD Receivers but without knowing where the OP is it is pointless.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Bell did install my used equipment when they did a "free move installation" a few years ago, although I know that's not what the OP is talking about.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
At the time of your move, in theory, only the first receiver should have been installed for free. The reality is that Bell screw up just about as many times in favor of the customer as they do in their own favor, so many 'move' orders end up being free anyway.

It is different now, if you have 1 HD receiver ALL receivers are installed (net) free on a 'move' order.

By 'net' free, you might be charged but will obtain a bill credit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joshwild, where did you hear/see this? When I was in store and on Bell's website only promo I could see for new customers was $499 for the 9241 and you get $200 back in credits. Never saw anything for free for a 3 year deal. That is something I would consider.

BTW I am in Regina, SK.

One the issues I have seen with used is it seems to be cheaper to buy new with a contract rather then used, but I am keeping my eyes open.

·
Registered
405 Posts
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for one year.
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV and one other service can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for two years.
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV and two other services can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for three years.

They will also receive a certain amount for the rental of a second receiver for the same amounts of time. I just can't remember how much (off the top of my head).

This offer, if I remember correctly, is only available in Ontario and Quebec.

New Ontario customers have to sign a two-year contract. Quebec customers, thanks to Bill 60, do not.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You probably still want to comparison shop with other offers from Bell and competing services. For example, do you still get bundle discounts if you take the receiver rentals? How much do Bell LD and other features cost compared to the competition. If the difference is more than $20 per month on any service, it's not worth it. Also consider that you might be able to buy the 9241 for $300 net and sell it in a couple of years for $200 or more. Even without reselling the receiver, buying still works out to under $20/mo over 2 or 3 years and avoids rental fees or a new receiver purchase at that time.

For installations, the first receiver is free, extra receivers are $50. The extra receivers do not need to be purchased new from Bell. IMHO, the best deal is to purchase a new 9241, take the free installation and pay $50 to install any extra receivers.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for one year.
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV and one other service can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for two years.
New rental customers who subscribe to Bell TV and two other services can receive the rental of the 9241 for free for three years.
Many many thanks for that clarification I have been asked about this so many times over the last few days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thanks ScaryBob, I would say I do agree with you. And I was just at The Source last night and they are offering an extra $50 in store credit off buying from them and free install up to 2 receivers. So that is likely the deal I will take. Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Actually, Today I did an installation with older equipment for a new customer who signed up to a two year term, no fee for the install at all.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds like Bell is expanding their free installation offers. First receiver free and $50 for each extra receiver was their price for several years for the move program and receivers at time of the initial installation. Bell often waved or credited back the installation fee for rentals and sometimes extra receivers purchased directly from them. Since The Source is now owned by Bell, it may be the best place to buy Bell receivers. I would still comparison shop though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pinza, you're welcome.

I thought I put this in my post, but the other services have to be NEW services. It has to be for new Bell services, and can't be combined with pre-existing ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts