Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Will Bell Aliant Deal To Get Your Business?

8K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Stefer 
#1 ·
I am currently a Rogers customer and would like to give Bell Aliant Fibreop TV and internet a try. When Fibreop became available in my area in the spring I called them to see how their package pricing would compare to Rogers. I have a pretty good deal with Rogers right now because I am still enjoying lifetime free rental of my HD PVR and 2nd SD box (Rogers promotion from a few years ago). Bell Aliant didn't seem very anxious at all at the time to get my business. I asked if they could match pricing from Rogers but she said she couldn't but that she would have her supervisor give me a call and I never did receive that call. I called Rogers with just a hint that I was thinking about switching and they gave me a 20% discount for 1 year. Rogers seemed much more intent on keeping my business than Bell Aliant was on winning my business. Has this changed? Are they willing to deal? Or are they just sitting back waiting for customers to come to them?

#2 ·
My experience with BellAliant is that they do not price match competitors, they just keep pushing bundles. They also don't have much of in the way of retention deals either. I wasn't offered anything over a year ago when I cancelled home phone and their TV service.

#3 ·
Speaking of a person who never haggles price on anything, not even cars, I find it interesting that people believe companies should discount prices to certain people. I know it is done all the time, but it just seems fundamentally unfair to me.

I purchased the FibreOp bundle, at the asking price, and my way of thinking is that is the price. I don't think the company should be offering the same package to anyone else at a reduced price without offering it to everyone.

#7 ·
The problem is that people are willing to pay different prices for the same thing.

Rogers is giving me a discount on my TV, because I was going to cancel to get Aliant TV on FibreOp due to the price. But since I like Rogers TV service more, the discount fixed the price problem and I'm still a Rogers customer for TV.

So they get over $60 from me a month (and try to pitch their other services). Or they could insist on charging full price and get $0 out of me. For them, this is easy math.

#4 ·
willise
The way I look at it, companies are trying to get the most $$ from me. If I can keep some of that in my pocket, then so be it. I appreciate people going to forums and saying I managed to get x amount of money off such and such service. That way I know when I talk to that company, I know I can get at least that much off the service. There is a very good thread in the Bell TV forum called Bell ExpressVu Retentions? http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48593

I hope something like that will pop up here in the Aliant IPTV forum.

#5 ·
There was an old BellAliant retention thread here.

When I worked at BellAliant several years ago there was a retention toolbox - I have no reason to believe that it's gone away with the increased local phone, tv & high-speed market from companies like Eastlink & Rogers.

The general rule is - look at the best in market offer, ask for it all for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months, call back and ask for the new best in market offer for 12 months or you'll go to the competition for their best in market offer.

#6 ·
The 'bundle' deals BellAliant are offering to those who can get FibreOp are very competitive and beat anything Rogers can offer in terms of speed. The main factor as someone who has been a Rogers, ExpressVu and now Fibre customer is the customer service, BellAliant customer service is far superior to both of these and completely blows Rogers out of the water. I've had 2 issues since my cutover one was resolved immediately over the phone the second was resolved within 24 hours and required pole top work which was done in the middle a torrential rainstorm. If BellAliant can continue to roll out their services along with this spectacular customer service they've got me hooked.

#8 ·
It probably varies by when and why. Right now Aliant have a huge influx of customers switching from rogers to either fibreop or DSL, because of the no-cap, better customer service, etc... If you can't get an installation for a new customer in the next 30 days, business is good... why dance around to give him/her a deal?

Rogers are loosing a LOT. WHen i called to cancel, they tried giving me 40% off EVERYTHING. I said no, she said : sir, we can get you in the maritimes the best deal in Canada, this is a deal even us can't get here in Ontario. Told her it was because they are loosing all their customers to Aliant because of the FibreOp deploy, AND the fact that Aliant has no cap. She told me : Sir, that's the exact reason why!

Aliant : i know someone who called and asked for deals, since he knew some of us switched to Aliant and they bundled stuff, like their 3 service deal for 99$. He got what they sell everyone. He asked for more. They said no. He said he'd go with Rogers instead. They said : go right ahead.

Like i said, if they can't even get you an installation date inside 1 month from now, why bother dance around and try to retain you? Business is good. People are leaving Rogers by the dozen. I went to the store to return my digital boxes. Huge lineup. ALl to return their boxes!
While it's interesting to get deals.... i myself am looking for the best quality/price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.