Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to stay away from plasma for 3 reasons. Crappy pic in room with daylight. 1 repair shop I talked to say today's plasmas are better then the first ones, but still behind LED in quality and amount of repairs needed. Colors are on the dark side, not bright.

Depends where you go the sales people are pushing one over another. Future shop/BB push LEd. Another big seller here hates LED and push plasma.

I have a room where there is a large window with no direct sunlight. But I do have blinds that totaly block out most day light. I took back a LG 55" because even at 12 ft away it bothers my eyes. So I look for a 50" LED, but most are either 46 or 55.

Will mostly be used for reg programs some HD, some gaming, some DVD.

So long story short, I was thinking of trying a 50" plasma as a clerk told me the picture is less bright and less blurring, a more natural picture. So maybe it won't bother my eyes.

What you guys/gals think? Which model is good for $1499 price max?
Thks
Wayne

·
Registered
257 Posts
Let me put it to you this way: when I was looking for my tv, most of the sales reps I talked to try to sell me a Samsung LCD or Sony, as I was looking at a LCD at the time. When I asked what THEY had at home, every single one said plasma.

Take that for what it's worth.

I'm not a plasma fan boy either - it just suited my needs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to correct part of this topic. After talking to now 3 repair shops. 2 were ok with plasma that do warranty work. It's only the out of warranty shop that gives them the thumbs down. I think this is because he sees the older plasmas and not the new improved ones of past few years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Panny 50 inch Plasma in early Dec/10. I love the thing. I am still amazed at the color and contrast ratio it offers every time I turn it on. I bought the entry level C2 model and have no issues at all. The TV is in a controled lit room so light reflection is not a issue.
The picture is natural, no Soap opera affect, clean sharp no blur picture. SD even looks decent on it. The TV is so so much better then my older 50 inch rear projection 3LCD. When shopping around for a TV a couple months back, most sales guys I asked what they owned also said plasma's too. One FS. sales guy said he had a Insignia LCD . I had a open mind to any set. I am glad I chose a Plasma over LCD or LED for the money spent.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
If you want the best blacks, no motion blur, realistic colours and quite decent SD - go with plasma.

LCD (LED) looks good in torch mode in the stores and thats about it - with the rare exception.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me put it to you this way: when I was looking for my tv, most of the sales reps I talked to try to sell me a Samsung LCD or Sony, as I was looking at a LCD at the time. When I asked what THEY had at home, every single one said plasma.

Take that for what it's worth.

I'm not a plasma fan boy either - it just suited my needs.
2009 pany plasmas have a problem with black levels turning grey in 1500 hrs or 1 yr aprox. Don't know if that's improved for 2010. This includes the G10 model.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well today I was instore and have to tell you that the plasma S2 & G20/25 picture detail is very grainy, fuzzy when compared to a Samsung 6300 LED. The clerks even agreed with me. I saw this in 2 stores on the G25. Side by side they don't cut it with LEd.

Now I know you will tell me they in torch mode and when you get them home and tweak them they will be better. OK maybe. But I think that the better quality pic in torch mode will still be the better quality at home. Unless Plasma has some kind of miracle switch.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have a Panasonic 50G25 in my media room on the second floor which faces due South with a wall of windows, the anti-reflective screen on this model works great.

·
Registered
257 Posts
2009 pany plasmas have a problem with black levels turning grey in 1500 hrs or 1 yr aprox. Don't know if that's improved for 2010. This includes the G10 model.
So I've heard. I'm not too concerned as I've had it for a year and have seen no difference yet. I'm not going to defend plasma - if you prefer LCD that's your choice. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and you believe him?
Yes why not, the entive TV department was running the same thing and was up on all the TV's. The clerk said shaw cable 720P. I asked him why a best buy promo was coming off shaw cable? No logical answer. Well whatever signal and picture, it was up on all screens.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just disappointed in the G25. I expected after reading all the plasma posts on how good it is, I was expecting the darn thing to blow every other tv on display away. Well it sure didn't!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because they are BB salesmen.

Did they say that you need Mon$ter Cables as well?

You need to be informed before you go in. Don't go into BB/F$ without doing any research before hand.
Oh come on. I was searching all the info I could online for 3 days before stepping into the store. But the clerk did say I need the expensive HDMI cables for blueray lol. No thks I said.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.