Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rumoured Wii2 could well be the biggest news in gaming this year. In recent months, Nintendo has ceded the front runner position to Sony's PS3, and has spent 2011 barely ahead of XBOX360 which has spent most of the last 15 months at the bottom of the global monthly sales ladder.

So what lies ahead for Wii?

Blu-Ray? Doubtful. 1080p? They would foolish not to. Maybe a richer online experience or Google TV?

Personally, I think this is pretty exciting from a business point-of-view. While Microsoft and Sony are both stuck mid-cycle with programs that are barely profitable, Nintendo is ready to evolve and should have a substantial war chest. They have an opportunity to deliver a roundhouse kick that could define the industry's strategy for years to come!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Well, you can guarantee it will play all the existing Wii games.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine what they might do beyond higher resolution graphics. Looking forward to finding out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
June is just the unveiling.. Will be shown at E3. IGN has a bunch of shots of things. But i beleive they said the release will be holliday time 2012. So expect another shortage of stock and crazy ppl looking for one right before Xmas next year.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Nintendo should have the money do get involved with the horsepower wars now, but some of the leaked specs (512 of ram???, triple core???) might make it only a little more powerful than the ps3/360. If Nintendo are to release another system in 2012, they should be doing their best to be running the highest specs they can or yet again have weak 3rd party support, or maybe they don't want/care about it because of the success of their in-house developers.

If they are going to keep the physical media, they need blu-ray for the space or they will be running into what the 360 is having problems with now. Easier and more expansive online community is a must as well

The rumoured 6 inch touch screen on the controller seems pretty cool, but the rumoured $100+ price tag does not.

They hammered it out of the park with the Wii, but now people are ready to move on to the next gen Nintendo console (I know I am, considering I sold my Wii long ago) and the languishing sales are here to prove it. Hopefully they boost those performance numbers to the point where Sony/Microsoft are wondering what the hell is going on, or I might just pass on Nintendo for this upcoming generation.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Well the Wii proved that its not all about power so I wouldn't be too worried about specs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They also proved that the only great games came from in house, and the Wii was incapable of even running a decent version of almost any other top notch 3rd party title.

I would love to see an all around killer Nintendo machine. One capable of handling all that the 3rd party companies have to offer as well as top notch 1st party titles. I would love to see Mario/Metroid/Zelda running at 1080p with lossless audio on blu-ray and then switch to the newest version of Call of Duty/Assassins Creed/F1/Resident Evil/Rayman/GTA/Red Dead/whatever then throw in a blu-ray movie without having to buy a different machine.

If Nintendo uses some of their now near limitless money on technological resources, they could really put a stamp on the next gen console wars, especially since it seems they will be the first to release.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
One of the best attractions of the Wii was its price tag.

The Wii first sold for $279 vs. $549 or $649 for the PS3.

While it might be great for some consumers to have an "uber console" that gave you the best of Nintendo plus all the other stuff, the cost would take it off the radar screen of many consumers.

My guess is Nintendo is more concerned with profitability than bragging rights.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The #1 lesson from the past five years is that the geeks and hardware-heads do not rule the market.

While the "rest of us" were debating frame rates and storage capacity, Nintendo flanked the competition and rose to an easy lead.

I think they will make a play for the rest of the living room (better media and internet integration) and not pay too much attention to the what Sony and Microsoft does. (neither one of them have too much to be proud of from a strict business POV)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
A couple of random thoughts and PURE SPECULATION.

1. This could put a small dent in Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 sales as more price conscious consumers consider waiting. Maybe not huge but there will be those who say `maybe we should wait`

2. After hearing this, my guess is that Microsoft, by next January or February, announces a more advanced Xbox 360 that plays all the old games. I think they`d be smart to avoid announcing before Christmas to avoid cannibalizing sales.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am just hoping that Nintendo actually goes the route of creating a new console instead of just mildly suping up an old one (being that the wii is based on gamecube architecture with a new control scheme) or using more or less outdated tech to keep profits high. I don't think that would be possible this time around though as they need to go high def, need to surpass the ps3/360 current tech, and even a suped up wii is just not capable of running hd.

And hugh, you are right about price point. Being cheap gave the wii a landslide victory this gen for sure, but I don't know if using last gen parts will work again. I think it would be unwise to be the least powerful by a large margin again. But you never know. Maybe Nintendo has found the winning formula of using outdated tech and innovating on it instead of innovating tech and doing the same thing with it.

But going the other way, I think I would love even more to see a truly dedicated gaming machine. One that has nothing on its plate other than gaming and that is it. This could keep costs down, or they could invest in cutting edge tech that won't be outdated as soon as usual. Maybe going backwards to this type of system would be a big leap forward in advancing console gaming, not console universality.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
My Wii2 predictions:

Price: $249 USD (the same launch price as the Wii)

Capabilities: Fast enough to emulate the original Wii and play the original Wii games rendering in 1080p. Faster than the XBOX 360/PS3, but not significantly faster.

Game Store: Nintendo will fully embrace the online "content store in the cloud" model with this console, downloading games will become the primary distribution mechanism. This will piss off the retailers who make a living reselling used games. More profits for Nintendo. Downloaded game licenses will be tied to the player's account rather than the physical console; like Steam.

Primary Storage: Flash memory cards of a standard format (SD flash cards or perhaps USB memory sticks), sold as accessories.

No support for "3D display" features.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My predictions are pretty well in line with DWL, except that I will predict they will launch an HD SDK, to create Wii2 specific games meant to take advantage of HD. The hardware will be fully HD capable.

You will not find pay content touching generic removble media. I am not sure what the current Wii has, but you might see a small embedded flash drive (32 GB or so), or a 250GB or so HDD (built in or as an accessory).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Remember, out of the blocks compared to the PS3 and XBox, the Wii was seen as an "also ran" - no one payed much attention to it because it lacked in power compared to the other two. The game cube was always seen as a "meh" console and so the Wii took the market and consumers by surprise when sales took off.

Because it was different. Can it be different again?

If it's merely an updated console with more power, it won't do as well as the original.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts