Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When viewing TV Ontario (SD channel 2 on Cogeco) on my 46" Samsung LED 120 HZ box , two attributes are frequent.

1) Small and slow motions in the picture seem to distort and go wavy ?

2) In dark scenes large darker blocks (like pixleation but larger and darker)
seem to occur

I have only noticed this on British drama shows on TVO, I do not see this on an old CRT set.

Any comments or technical explanation would be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sanssail , I have a little experience with the Samsung current models both 60hz and 120hz types.
Samsung have an excellent marketable tv that does work and gives excellent pictures when properly set up.
It requires careful reading of their operating manual page by page and trying various setting choices which will give you a very pleasing picture and sound.
I have found that one can produce a not so good result with an incorrect setting.
Perhaps your problems can be corrected with another reading and trial and error of all the various settings.
Good luck, and try reading and setting the tv again in a quiet setting for maximum results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It sounds like artifacts from the PAL to NTSC standards conversion. You said it happened only on British programming so I'm guessing that's what it is.

PAL uses 25 frames per second and in the conversion to our 30 (29.97) frames per second, new frames have to be "created". That's why on panning shots you see a sort of ripple; it's basically the extra frames that are created in the conversion. You can see it on SD CRT sets too but I'm guessing that it would be more noticeable on an HD set.

Don't know what the "large darker blocks" are though. Perhaps some sort of artifact from some additional compression?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts