Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with iPads dropping their wifi connections and then refusing to acknowledge the WEP key when re-entered. I am constantly resetting my iPad because that is the only way to get it to connect.

Its pretty bad when my HTC Diamond is more stable than my iPad.

·
Registered
598 Posts
When I'm on my balcony where my wifi is weakest it will do this. Never had to reset, just turn the wifi off and then on again to connect.

I'm hoping for a fix as this is annoying. I don't mind drop outs when the signal is weak but asking for my password again and again is annoying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Heh, I have consistent problems keeping mine connected at home and out in the world. I love that all of their troubleshooting seems aimed towards fixing external equipment, instead of acknowledging the problem is the with iPad. Every other device I own works everywhere on the property, except the iPad, but it must be a router firmware issue...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heh, I have consistent problems keeping mine connected at home and out in the world. I love that all of their troubleshooting seems aimed towards fixing external equipment, instead of acknowledging the problem is the with iPad. Every other device I own works everywhere on the property, except the iPad, but it must be a router firmware issue...
Well, there are fixes and workarounds until there's a fix. But the problem is far from universal and those are always harder to track down. That's why their KB has so many different suggestions ranging from the obvious ones like resetting routers to the more specific ones.

It doesn't mention it on their site, but using a static IP seems to also fix many wifi issues. But of course you can only do that with your own wifi network.

I have zero wifi issues with mine at home nor at work nor the many hotel meeting room and coffee shop routers I've connected to. It also works fine for me wifi tethering to my iPhone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My friend just picked up his iPad and it was working fine on a public wireless network. He got it home to try on his wireless network and it didn't want to connect. He runs a mixed mode network (802.11b and g) ..
We changed his network to fixed 802.11g and he was able to connect.
I had heard somewhere that mixed mode networks were sometimes an issue with the device! but then again, it worked on my network and I have mixed G and n. Go figure...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've connected to 4-5 different networks including WEP (my home network is WEP) with no problems at all. The only problem I had was once when my brightness was all the way down, I had to manually click on the network to connect each time I woke up the iPad. As soon as I turned my brightness up a tiny bit, my wireless kicked in and has been fine ever since.

The brightness situation is not a cure-all because there have been problems with certain router setups but just make sure you never have your iPad on min. brightness to at least avoid that problem.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Interesting timing....my iPad has been rock solid for weeks on many public and private networks, but suddenly today it would not connect to my home network (kept getting a 169.254 address) until I shut it all the way off and let it sit for a couple hours. There's definitely some refinement needed from Apple on this one...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had my iPad for over two months now, and have travelled with it several times. I have been able to connect (and remain connected) in all of the hotels and public 'hot spots' without difficulty - including the wi-fi available on a recent American Airlines flight between Chicago and Boston! So, I have to say, it is a 'non-issue' as far as I am concerned. My wife is sooo happy with how she is able to use my/her iPad. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have not had any issues with my home WiFi, but a couple of the other ones I have tried to connect to have had some problems. The big issue I have is that it doesn't want to auto connect to any WiFi but my home one no matter how I have them setup. I always have to go in an renew the IP before it works. The other issue is that the signal strength will vary widely. I can be sitting in a spot and the WiFi will jump around from being full power to almost no power and back again without moving the device. From what I have been reading this seems to be a very common problem with the iPad. So far I haven't had it disconnect from any WiFi network.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have had the occasional problem with Wifi. Same sort of things as other posters... signal going from very strong to very weak while sitting in the same place. Usually quite stable, I have had it drop me and not want to reconnect. Usually had to reboot my router to get it working again.

I also noticed that when the microwave is on, it really disrupts the wifi signal.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It doesn't mention it on their site, but using a static IP seems to also fix many wifi issues. But of course you can only do that with your own wifi network.
I found I had to do this with my iPad and my iPod touch on my own network

no issues at all on random networks tho

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been experiencing this issue as well. For me it occurs on any wifi network I connect to. They must be coming out with a fix sooner or later, I spent a whomp load on this thing. ANyone have any other suggestions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts