Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that a few certain channels on Shaw, like WUHF and CNN, have started broadcasting in widescreen on their SD signals. Was this initiated by the broadcasters themselves, or did Shaw change which signal would be used on these channels?

Anyone who had watched the World Series on Fox would have noticed how the scoreboard did not properly appear in a 4:3 format, but can be properly seen when it airs in 16:9. So I was just wondering in this forum who was responsible for the aspect change (which I happen to like when there's a program that is in widescreen)...

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
what do u mean widescreen on the sd channel? did you turn to the sd channel and did it fill your 16x9 tv frame completely? or were you watching on a 4:3 tv set and noticed the scoreboard was cut off?

if its the latter, they did a downconversion of their HD feed and centre cut it to fit a 4:3 tv..

hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Nothing new here. Depending on the channel, they either air their (HD) programming as widescreen on the SD channels, or they sidecut. This accelerated with the end of analogue TV broadcasting in the US last year. If you search for widescreen, you'll find several previous threads on the topic. There were even a number of programmes that aired in WS on the SD channels for a long time years ago - ER, Star Trek Enterprise, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131013&highlight=widescreen

This has nothing to do with Shaw.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me re-explain:

In Winnipeg, when you watch WUHF on channel 49 (when it's not simsub), their feed is not a reconverted HD feed in SD format (a 16:9 picture with top and bottom black bars; with left and right black bars in SD-only programming).

This is totally new. During the first few games of the World Series, WUHF channel 49 had the SD feed (with cut-off scoreboard), but by the end of the series, the feed had changed to HD on SD (16:9 on regular TV), which is still the case on the feed today.

Can anyone answer my question now?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nothing new here. Depending on the channel, they either air their (HD) programming as widescreen on the SD channels, or they sidecut. This accelerated with the end of analogue TV broadcasting in the US last year. If you search for widescreen, you'll find several previous threads on the topic. There were even a number of programmes that aired in WS on the SD channels for a long time years ago - ER, Star Trek Enterprise, etc.
This is certainly the case in my mind. Have you noticed that on some HD channels the channel logo is no longer in the bottom right corner but moved in towards the centre so that on a sidecut 4:3 format the logo will still be visible.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let me re-explain:

In Winnipeg, when you watch WUHF on channel 49 (when it's not simsub), their feed is not a reconverted HD feed in SD format (a 16:9 picture with top and bottom black bars; with left and right black bars in SD-only programming).

This is totally new. During the first few games of the World Series, WUHF channel 49 had the SD feed (with cut-off scoreboard), but by the end of the series, the feed had changed to HD on SD (16:9 on regular TV), which is still the case on the feed today.

Can anyone answer my question now?
Kinda sounds like EDTV which has been around in Europe for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know what you're talking about. For anyone else wondering, when Shaw downcoverted HD channels, they did so by simply lobbing off the sides, rather resizing the 16:9 picture to fit inside a 4:3 viewing area.

My theory why they changed is because Fox had the World Series. When Shaw lobbed off the sides, you couldn't see the score or other interesting things on screen. I would suspect they changed it because people complained.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
that's called pillarboxed. i see that alot.

it happens when a progam is filmed in letterbox, and your watching it on an hd box, the top black bars are part of the tv broadcast the black side bars are sent from the STB because its tuned into a 4:3 channel.

this not new.. lots of commercials are this way too. its essentially a downconverted HD feed

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
In short …
• Pillarbox: What you are describing above — a 16:9 image within a 4:3 space shown on a 16:9 screen.
• Letterbox: A full 16:9 image within a 4:3 screen.
• Pan-and-scan: When a 16:9 picture is cropped (cut) to fit 4:3.
• Widescreen SD: A full 16:9 picture in standard definition (like DVD video).

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
checked CNN today, and it looks like they are downconverting their HD feed and letterboxing it for 4:3 TV's so you will see the black bars on the top and bottom of the programming. they used to centre cut before, but with the election bar on their screen 24/7 perhaps they want you to see it all the time so they like this method instead?

when you watch it on an SD channel on a widescreen TV, there is a black border all around the picture, this is called pillar boxing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just set my TV to smart stretch and go with whatever i don't really notice except some people look a little wider than usual haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts