Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Interesting. There seems to be no availability or pricing info yet. The price is likely to be astronomical. As the Wi-Fi 7 spec won't be finalized for about another year, this router is based on a draft spec. It is very early and this router may not fully support the final spec. It can take a year or two after the final spec is published for hardware to catch up and provide a fully working implementation as that is what happened with Wi-Fi 6. It will take some time for fully functional, cheap SOCs to become available to manufacturers and for prices to become competitive with Wi-Fi 6 routers, some of which are still quite expensive.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
I think I'll wait until I have at least one Wi-Fi 7 device and prices drop significantly. That should take about two years. Four bands is a bit of overkill as well. Some tri-band Wi-Fi 6e routers have only just dropped to reasonable price points. Others are still over $500. I see the TP-Link AXE5400 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router (Archer AXE75) is on for under $200. I'm committed to another make of mesh system right now but that might be a good entry point for Wi-Fi 6e.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
6e device are just starting to become more widespread now (but if you have one of those, the benefits are nice). It'll be a while before anything in anyones hands can actually use 7. And yeah, since the spec isn't even final yet, you're buying a draft spec and a promise that it'll be updated.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
The other issue is that full specs are rarely fully implemented on early routers. Some companies may sell a router as Wi-Fi 7 but it may simply be a Wi-Fi 6e router with a few Wi-Fi 7 features that are easy to implement in firmware. Early Wi-Fi 6 routers did not fully implement some of the best parts of that standard. To get a full featured, affordable device it's often necessary to wait until SOC hardware that fully implements the standard is available. Wi-Fi 6e is easy to implement. Just add another radio to a Wi-Fi 6 chipset that covers the 6GHz band. Wi-Fi 7 looks to be a lot more work and requires more sophisticated hardware.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts