Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Why Wind Mobile lost two customers today

37011 Views 153 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  g011um
This morning I read about the Wind Mobile All in the Family plan.

I thought, excellent, I am going to sign both my kids up with new phones.

Went to my local Blockbuster and asked for the deal. The helpful sales clerk apologized and said that he couldn't give me the deal and that I had to talk to "corporate." The guy is a nice guy and I wanted him to have the sale but he said the only way I might have a chance was to go to a corporate Blockbuster store.

Okay, so I hopped in the car and drove ten minutes to the Blockbuster store at Parklawn and Queensway. Went inside and asked the clerk how to sign up for the All in the Family plan. She said I had to have a "form". I said, I don't have the form but I would like to sign up for the plan. She then proceeded to tell me how I could sign up for "better" plans and so on.

I said no, I wanted the All in the Family plan that I had read about. She refused to offer me the plan and refused to tell me why some people were eligible and I wasn't.

Result:
  • An hour of my time was wasted.
  • Wind Mobile lost two customers.
  • Wind Mobile has gained a vocal critic for its refusal to even exlain to me why I was not eligible for a deal it was offering some and not others.

Seems like Wind has learned about customer service from the Big Three!
1 - 8 of 154 Posts
Sorry to laugh at your expense Hugh, but that is so bad it really is comical! I signed up with wind back in June and it took just a few minutes. If my initial experience was like yours, I would be with another carrier right now.
Wow are you patient! I would definitely document this and report it to a manager at Wind - I would think you might get a freebie month or two. Or at least you certainly deserve it.
The article was incredibly unobjective. The fact that Hugh couldn't bring himself to write down any "Pros" for Wind Mobile speaks volumes. I could understand if Hugh wrote the article the same day as when most of the debacle occurred, but he didn't. Hugh posted this days after the event, when he should have been able to look a little more objectively at the situation.

Hugh - can you honestly say that there are no possible "Pros" to using Wind Mobility? I guarantee that if you pull any 12 year old kid off the street and have them do a pro and con list, they will be able to find some pros. The fact that you can't shows your childish unobjectivity in this matter.

I think your posts in the forum are fine, but to post such an unobjective review is irresponsible at best. Whether it is deserved or not, you and your site have become a rather trusted source for consumer electronics information, and frankly, I would expect much better from a review on your site. If your intention was to write some trolling flame-bait drivel to create 'buzz' and drive traffic to your site, I guess you succeeded. Sad, really.
See less See more
I really would like Hugh to respond to the question of whether or not he can see zero "pros" to Wind Mobility.
Based on his experience (and his experience alone), I don't see why he should be required to state something positive about Wind. Good plans or network coverage is meaningless without the ability to actually activate a phone that was shipped to him. In this case, the negatives definitely outweigh any positives he could have taken from his experience.
Good grief. The whole purpose of making a Pros vs Cons list is to list all the pros and all the cons so that you can weigh the two out.

Yes, it was an all around Epic Failure on behalf of Wind on virtually every front, but that still doesn't change the fact that there are many possible pros, which Hugh completely ignored. I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with his so-called review if he left out the Pros and Cons list at the end.
How is hugh supposed to list pros if the product as advertised doesn't work?
Seriously? You don't know how a tech enthusiast and expert is supposed to find information on a company and its products?
Seriously? Why would an expert regurgitate third-party opinions without trying to confirm if the opinions are accurate? Too many so-called journalists do this and it's just sloppy.
I don't expect him to regurgitate third party opinions. What I do expect from an objective and critical review is an accurate representation of facts. To some people, cost is a factor when choosing a mobile carrier. A quick mention of pricing and plans would have demonstrated at least a modicum of objectivity on Hugh's part. For those that actually got working SIMs :p , there are cheaper plans on Wind than many other carriers.

Please understand that I am not trying to defend Wind here. As I mentioned earlier in this thread when the debacle started, I think Hugh was far more patient with the company than I would have been in the same situation. I would have tried to exit much earlier. The whole thing was terrible. What I am extremely put off by is how Hugh presented the article as a REVIEW. Clearly it is not a critical review at all. It is an extremely biased rant written by an unhappy would-be customer. An honest and critical review should analyze and present both good and bad aspects of the subject.
See less See more
Pricing was mentioned on the first page. But I don't think you can count it as a pro if you can't use what you paid for. To use an analogy, a friend of mine bought one of those knock-off USB power chargers for his iPhone. While it was certainly cheaper than Apple's offering, it simply didn't work. Should its price then be listed as a pro?
Ahh, thank you. You illustrate my point exactly. The error which Hugh made is exactly the same one as your analogy. You can not simply analyze one specific case and apply it to the general. While it may apply, it is not necessarily so. Your friend's knock-off charger may have been an isolated incident, or it may have been a systemic failure. You don't know unless you look further into the situation. Intel is one of the top CPU companies, but as anyone that builds computers can tell you, some of them just do not work when you get them. It is not a systemic problem, it is just isolated cases due to the manufacturing process.

With Wind, there are tens of thousands of customers (I'm guessing), and at least some of them had better experiences. Some of them have working phones, and some of them pay lower prices than those available from other carriers. Certainly this would justify at least a mention as a "Pro".

Perhaps I just regard Hugh much more highly than the rest of you seem to. In this age of new media, Hugh is as close to being a 'journalist' as you are going to get. He has been on national newscasts, and has articles in nation wide newspapers. He is sought out for his expert and informed opinion on consumer technology. I truly believe that because of this, he has the obligation to be less emotional and more objective when presenting a review article on his site.
See less See more
1 - 8 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.