Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that over the last few years GPS devices have removed support for MP3 playback.. Many still have silly picture viewers but no MP3 players.

Also, besides the Magellin 7" display, all the others are around the 5" and smaller.

Why no full featured, large screen devices?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Suppliers usually respond to market desires/needs. So, I'm guessing that MP3 support and large displays were/are not much in demand. Just because the odd person want's something doesn't mean that a manufacturer with provide it, if they sell millions of some models and perhaps thousands of another.

This is especially true now with the prices of GPS so cutthroat and low.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Are we talking about hand-held GPS units or automotive units? Personally, I wouldn't use that in my car. I already have a iPod that is much easier to carry around and sync with my home collection instead of dismounting my GPS unit everytime.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've noticed when I purchased my unit that only higher end unit have MP3 player. Normally, this is the same unit that will have an earphone jack and it will also support FM transmission (to ear both music and GPS command through the radio of the car) and will support bluetooth for audio transmission.

What I purchased is the low-end version that only support bluetooth as a telephone handfree device.

As far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense. Or you want to transmit through FM, OR you want to use a 3.5 mm jack, OR you use bluetooth to get the GPS instruction, but there is no good reason to support only the 3 features (and then CHARGE the price for the 3 features...)

jf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sony actually made a GPS on their now discontinued Nav-U line which was a GPS and supported M3 for music playback through the GPS speakers or bluetooth to your deck or bluetooth speaker. But Sony no longer makes GPS anymore

·
Registered
148 Posts
What about the iPhone 4? Navigon or TomTom works a treat on the device for GPS and of course you get an MP3 player via it's iPod function. Not saying it's for everybody but having everything I need in a single device for mobile use is unbelievably convenient. And bonus... my phone ALWAYS leaves the car with me so nothing is ever left behind to get stolen. Cheers!

James

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Does the iPhone get Navteq traffic data via FM? I really can't be without traffic data now that I'm used to it.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not everyone wants an iPhone (or anything made by apple for that matter). Besides, nobody wants to pay for all the data the maps consume. And what if you're in an area with no data service? Data roaming charges can't be cheap either.

A portable GPS with free map updates really is the way to go.

The other benefits of MP3 playback integrated into the GPS:

> Easily load it up with music and take it to the car
> Connect to car's Aux-in connection and listen to music as you drive, music mutes automatically when a spoken direction is given then resumes again
> Models with Bluetooth can display caller info and even dial POI contacts (to make a reservation for example).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
sebbery, nobody's disputing the benefits of mp3 playback. It's simply not a feature that most consumers are interested in until a certain price point.

Unlike the Maps app, the full-featured paid GPS apps for iPhone don't use data.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not everyone wants an iPhone (or anything made by apple for that matter). Besides, nobody wants to pay for all the data the maps consume. And what if you're in an area with no data service? Data roaming charges can't be cheap either.

A portable GPS with free map updates really is the way to go.

The other benefits of MP3 playback integrated into the GPS:

> Easily load it up with music and take it to the car
> Connect to car's Aux-in connection and listen to music as you drive, music mutes automatically when a spoken direction is given then resumes again
> Models with Bluetooth can display caller info and even dial POI contacts (to make a reservation for example).
I never implied that everyone wants an iPhone. It was simply offered as an alternative that does exactly what was requested... A GPS with MP3 capabilities. I'm also not sure what you're talking about in regards to the data services issues. Both TomTom and Navigon are full blown GPS programs that have the full and latest version Navteq or TeleAtlas map sets already downloaded onto the phone when you install the software, no data services required. Same as any dedicated standalone GPS unit. (Garmin uses the same Navteq maps as Navigon)

Navigon can however take advantage of cellular data services if you have them enabled and can provide realtime traffic updates with automatic re-routing, weather conditions at your destination, Google searches for locations/coordinates to enhance the integrated POI database and now even let you upload map errors directly back to Navigon.

And so far I haven't been charged yet for any map or software updates from Navigon in over a year of use and at least 4 updates that each offered even more functionality than the earlier version for free.

Sorry if you don't like Apple but every single point you've listed above (and much more) is fully supported and integrated into the iPhone. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My Garmin nuvi 680 and 765 units both have mp3 players ... but they were higher end units. They can be found for cheap as refurbs though ... and that is how I got them.

regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts