Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed late last night that TFO (channel 19) is now broadcasting in pillar-box (black bars on the top and bottom as well as the sides). It's not just a digital STB, because the one TV not hooked up to one also displays the channel in this format.

You usually see it an HD station that isn't broadcasting an HD program. Is TFO now broadcasting in HDTV; that would be surprising.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
I would refer to this as "postage stamp". Edit (Rogers Ch 13 in the GTA) I would contact them because they may have made a mistake.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Wow, now they're showing a Widescreen programme (L'odeur...) inside the postage stamp and there are dark grey bars inside the large black bars. Pretty soon there won't be an image at all...

This is not a channel that I watch, so I suggest you call or e-mail the channel.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't have Rogers anymoe but Isn't channel 19, TVO?

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Look at channel 13 (Rogers Toronto) - the lineup is different outside the GTA. I don't know what channel it is on BTV, but you may want to have a look, as the image is quite bizarre on a 16:9 TV unstretched (24.5" of my 40" TV)

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Il a réparé? The WS programme seems to be presented properly now. Guess you'll have to check a 4:3 programme once it comes on.

Unfortunately the WS programme (at 4PM) is not properly centered vertically causing you to see the VBI information (white lines at the top) which carries the CC, DV, etc. They should be able to see this on their monitors, so I'll never understand why they let programming go out like this, or why someone who works for the broadcaster wouldn't report the issue. The 4:30PM programme doesn't have the VBI issue.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Strange, they keep switching back & forth (I looked at around 9PM and it was a postage stamp). The WS programme on now (Les Nouveaux mondes) is being shown properly.

Hmm, it's 11:57, I turned around to look at the TV and it's now on a different programme (now 4:3) and is postage stamp again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts