Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a new program on TLC tonight and decided to record the late airing (10pm MST) of 'Heli-Loggers' only to find the it was cut off right at the start with a 'Planet Green' program.

While this 'Planet Green' channel looks interesting enough on its own, I still want to see the program that is scheduled in this time slot. I called Shaw to ask about it and was given a lame excuse and was then put on hold. The repair department person I was speaking with came back and told me they have had several calls about this before and they do need to contact TLC about it. I know this has happened before when Holmes on Homes was listed as being on and it was a show with the old host from This Old House, Steve Thomas.

I haven't done a google search yet but I didn't find anything on here about it yet. Does anyone know what's up with this?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Shaw is not responsible for the guide.... it's done by Tribune or something like that. Also, the guide is generally sent out weeks in advance. Therefore, if a network changes what they are going to air after the guide is sent out, it will show the wrong information.

Not too much Shaw can really do about it.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I understand Shaw has nothing to do with the guide. TLC's own schedule doesn't show anything about this 'switch' so I am just wondering why it is happening. I have emailed Discovery Networks but got an automated reply saying it could be at least a week before I might get an answer, if I do get one.

·
Banned
320 Posts
It is my understanding that Spike is the only US network we receive that has a distinct "Canadian" version where replacement shows are broadcast in certain situations (i.e. when the James Bond marathon airs). So you should be seeing TLC unadultered, meaning that our American friends are seeing the same change in the schedule. Not 100% on this, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Planet Green replacing TLC ???

I too was expecting to see and record Heli-Loggers last night, only to discover that it was another show and another channel. Planet Green is a new Discovery channel, its not that Heli-Loggers wasnt on TLC last night, it was on, its just that we no longer have TLC and in its place we now have a new channel called Planet Green. So this isnt a guide issue but a Shaw issue. If Shaw has decided to add a new channel called Planet Green and remove TLC to do this, they should be able to tell us when we call.
Frankly I dont care too much about Planet Green, and would MUCH rather watch TLC

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a question about the TLC channel. Why is it that this channel only has program with the black bars that are unlike the standard we are used to. On TLC the bars are small less than one inch. What is the reason for this?

·
Super Moderator
4,493 Posts
Calm down... Planet Green is shown when the Canadian rights to the program which TLC HD would show has been sold off. They would replace Holmes on Holmes on TLC with this alternate programming.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Planet Green Channel subbed for Heli-Loggers on TLC (05/Feb/2009)

I had heard about the Planet Green channel a while back, but I don't subscribe to it. I didn't even know it is available in Canada.

Last night I went to watch Heli-Loggers on TLC @ 10:00 PM EST (on BellTV) and instead I got a show about Leeds Certification (green engineering) and construction of a modular building by university students in the US. It was a Planet Green channel presentation.

Anyone know if this was a last minute substitution, or a programming error by TLC or BellTV? Is the Planet Green channel available anywhere?
The 11:00 PM show was a TLC presentation however.

I should also add it was on TLC and TLC HD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Apparenlty this isn't Shaw specific so I have moved out the original thread from the Shaw forum and merged with 99GEcko's post.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks Hugh.

I actually received a reply today, that was fast.
----------------
Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting TLC. We appreciate you making us aware of the fact that Heli-loggers did not air on TLC Canada as planned. Please know that your comments will be forwarded to our program management and executives so they can be made aware of this situation.

So you know, Heli-loggers will air on Discovery Channel Canada soon. We ask that you visit their website at www.discoverychannel.ca for the latest updates as to when it is schedule to air.

Thanks again for making us aware of this issue.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
TLC
-----------------

This doesn't explain why it would have been shown at the early time and not substituted then too but maybe some one at TLC missed it the first time around.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
And then we'll get it in HD about a week after it premieres on Discovery...much like Anthony Bourdain and every other show Discovery picks up.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could have recorded the earlier run too but didn't even know about the show. I ran across it while surfing the guide and there was only 20 minutes left so that is why I set it to record the late run, leading to my frustration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend found somewhere that Heli Loggers will premier on Discovery Channel here in Canada on March 13.
We were so disappointed that it was blocked here in Canada.
Can't wait till March!

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
It's filmed in BC.
Why the freaking delay?? A month later??? what a joke!! Freaking Canada
I should just download it in HD now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
the TLC and discovery programming we get in Canada is far inferior to the programming in the states.

In the states they get all the new shows first and they then show up on the "Canadian" versions weeks or months later.

Shows like dirtyjobs and mythbusters always premier new shows in the US first. What we pay for in Canada is reruns only.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Except for heli loggers, TLC is always the same.
But yes, Discovery Sucks. Especially when Anthony Bourdain is on Sunday Nights, and I have to wait a week to see it in HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i ( unfortunately) have the answer to this

made several calls to both tlc and starchoice ( it was never star choices fault ) or any other provider for that matter . the problem is soley with "discovery communications" which owns tlc . they are airing planet green on tlc channel as a free preview , planet green will become it's own channel eventually . til then we don't mind do we ? maybe we should just drop tlc from our packages or we should be credited back from discovery communications since were not getting what we pay for .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
699 Posts
well that is BS in my opinion...people pay for TLC they expect to watch TLC..not some new useless channel that reruns all their programing 5 times a day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts