Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come service providers decided to put caps on Internet usage, and not cable usage as well? I mean, sending down HD quality programming (even though it's compressed) does chew up a lot of bandwidth, more-so than surfing the (multimedia enriched) Internet.

Are there thoughts about putting caps on cable usage as well? That would be the day. I'm not trying to get this implemented, not at all, but I know streaming HD quality programming via my PS3 using the MLB TV app takes almost 5GB of bandwidth for a complete game. The average TV user must eat this up nightly, unless it is much less intensive to send HD signals via cable compression algorithms and I'm way off base here.

So why the restrictions on Internet usage to prevent bottlenecks and bandwidth usage, and not for cable?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Broadcast vs. Unicast.

The cable broadcast stream serves 10's of thousands of subscribers with the proviso that they all see the same thing.

Turn those 10's of thousands of subscribers into individual streams of data and you have a BIG bandwidth problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All Cable channels are assigned specific frequency assignments. And with SDV, Cable can actually add virtual capacity.

Internet bandwidth is also a set range of frequencies delivered to the neighbourhood via fibre but then must address all the demands of the users on that node. Just like a large water pipe - only so may hoses tapped off before all you have is a trickle out of each one.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
And with SDV, Cable can actually add virtual capacity.
Similar technology is used to increase internet capacity. The difference is that SDV can be used to directly generate revenue but increased internet access is seen as a threat to a cable company's core business model.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They use Fibre to the node (local neighbourhood) however - the last mile is still over the actual coaxial cable and that is the limiting throttle.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Agreed. But both SDV and cable internet use fibre to a local node to provide extra bandwidth. The implementation details and equipment are different but there is no technical reason why both internet bandwidth and SDV cannot both be increased on the last mile. Placing caps and throttles on internet accounts is a business decision by cable companies, not a technical limitation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I expect the peak Internet bandwidth requirements probably coincides with VOD bandwidth needs making any bandwidth sharing a real challenge.

I notice that Rogers - in my area at least - turn off the 3 new HD ambiance channels after 2pm - no doubt to free up QUAM space for SDV use. Just a guess.

Bottom line - I'm sure we will find Hi Speed service will all move to 50mb or higher however you will be billed on usage. This would eliminate caps and be fair to all users as no matter how you cut it or share it, the last mile pipe does have limitations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
At the end of the day its nothing more than a new revenue stream. It does not cost them any more or any less based on whether you use 1 gig or 10 gigs of data... They have see that the US was able to do this and decided its a good way to add more money to their pockets. It does not matter if you are on light speed, or extreme, the physical costs are pretty much the same, so really the only difference is the amount of bandwidth that is needed on the back end, and being that is a flat rate for providers it really does not matter how much they push through it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The amount of data moved does not increase cost but the network expansion required to carry extra data does increase cost. People who pay overage fees for extra GB of data are basically paying for Rogers to increase network capacity, not for the extra data. Meanwhile, Rogers is throttling people who use the extra capacity they are paying to have installed. :confused:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
It's because we have the CRTC to "protect" us.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Whatever the reason, its the same reason why we ever got charged for text messages. Because text messaging was always a data hog (being sarcastic, it never was or is).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Makes you wonder how other countries can manage to offer faster service for the same or lower price.
Some countries have an advantage due to much smaller size or higher population densities. For example, much of Europe and many Asian countries have more citizens in an area that is smaller than the island of Newfoundland or Vancouver island. Even then, it doesn't explain why speeds and costs are not comparable for major urban areas while rural areas are underserved or passed by for other carriers such as satellite.

The real reason for overpricing, data limits, throttling and slow speeds is lack of real competition in the Canadian market. That is most evident in areas served by Bell and Rogers where prices, speeds and data caps move almost in lock step. Concentration of media ownership is another issue. Companies like Bell and Rogers see third party internet services as competition to their other business units, such as telephone and TV. The ownership of major internet services allows them to restrict competition from any or all internet based companies that compete with their other services.

The situation in Canada will not improve until the government breaks up these companies and restricts anti-competitive practices, in a similar way the the US government broke up the "Big Bells" in the US and the FCC restricts anti-competitive practices there. Unfortunately, the Canadian government and the CRTC appear to be moving in the opposite direction. To put it in contrast, the FCC takes the viewpoint that consumers need protection from large companies while the CRTC takes the viewpoint that large companies need to be protected from consumers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts