Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the iPhone is a great little phone, it's about the right size for a phone and you can surf the net and listen to music.
I found watching movies and reading PDFs was pretty awful experience, I'm not as young as I used to be and am at the age where I will require reading glasses. And no; more resolution won't help.
I never installed many apps in the two years I've had the iPhone, I put on Cooke Solitaire, Skype and recently by far the most useful (for me anyway) MyWi.
MyWi in-case you've never heard of it turns your iPhone into a 3G - WiFi Hotspot. It works like a charm and will chew through your iPhone battery like Cookie Monster but it's there when you need it. A Mophie Air iPhone battery case doubles the battery life so it was a welcome addition to my kit.
MyWi is not compatible with OS4 (yet), neither is multitasking on the 3G.
5x digital zoom? Meh, I've taken maybe 30 photos with the iPhone camera, I'm not a good photographer but I know bad when I see it. My ancient Kodak 260 took far better photos and that was what 10 years ago...
I have an iPad and a MacBook and my better half has a Netbook. Being able to setup a wireless hotspot is awesome and aside from the phone mode is the only app I really use on my iPhone.

I've heard I can do WiFi tethering on some Android based phones.
But here's an interesting article on the Sprint Evo 4G phone.
vhttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/technology/personaltech/17pogue.html
The interesting part is the 4G is $10 more a month and the tethering is $30 more per month and that's on top of your data plan.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Are you waiting for MyWi to be made compatible before you upgrade then?

Also, the 5x digital zoom is really useless feature in a way. its just the equivalent of zooming in on a picture that you've already taken. I'm sure its not useful on the 3G with 2 mp camera.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll update to 4 when it works with MyWi. The other choice for me is to buy a 3G iPad next summer when my Fido contract runs out. Skype on the ipad is a decent phone as I'm a very light phone user and for only a few bucks I can get voicemail.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not updating because I have a feeling my Alpine car stereo is not going to integrate with the new OS. It's a pretty sweet set up right now and I'd hate to lose that.

I've read it's not playing nice with Microsoft Sync and other unspecified brand head units.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts