Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Futureshop today. I decided to buy Office 2010 professional edition which comes with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, and Word.

Total Price $348 plus taxes.

Grabbed the box and went to the cashier. Cashier then said I had to go over to what was the returns counter. Then some other women walked by me, stuck out her hand indicating I was supposed to give her the box and then she walked away. She never said a word or said where she was going.

A minute later, another women came out and asked if I had been served. I said I wanted Office 2010 software and explained I was trying to buy it and was sent over here and then some lady took the box and walked away.

She said "okay, I guess she has gone to the back to get it" and then she walked away.

At that point I was standing there feeling rather silly wondering why I was not at the cashier and someone was not processing my order and wondering why I had to guess as to what was being done.

After standing another 30 seconds, I said screw it and walked out.

I figure if people can't even speak to me and explain why I am not being serviced then I can live without Office 2010.

I'll wait for it to go onsale and buy it from Wal-mart or another store that wants my business or just buy Outlook 2010 since I can live with Office 2007.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I sounds like this follows the situation where the retailer does not keep product on the shelf but only displays dummy boxes. When you want to buy, the actual product has to come from a locked area in the retail section or stock kept in the back. I have purchased items that are treated this way from Future Shop, Staples and other retailers. Usually when I purchase these type of items, sales people are clear that they have to get stock from the back before they disappear

Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office are two products that I know have been treated this way in the past so I wouldn't be surprised that it happens with Office 2010 products.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan, I agree that is the likely scenario. In most cases though, they will check you out at the cashier while someone goes to get the product or you hand someone your receipt and they go get it.

Telling me goto another part of the store and then just walking away without a word of explanation was just too annoying.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My poor customer service experiences far outweigh my good experiences at the big electronic box stores. I only buy from them when the benefits are clearly there or have no choice.

I was there last night asking about a power bar but couldn't find anyone walking around. I then noticed 6 sales associates (yes, 6) congregated by the big screens TVs. I managed to get my question in to their "discussion" and one of them just pointed without missing a step in his conversation. Instead of going to the direction he pointed we headed for the door. :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What really fried me is the woman that took the box from me without saying a word just gave me the "I'm so much better than you" look that you usually get from salesclerks in high end retail shops.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open Office is not my cup of tea. I'll continue with Office 2007 and Office 2003 which are on currently on our computers.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Have you tried it? It works the exact same. It has changed a lot since it first was released. Give it a shot for a month, and I bet you will stick with it. Free, and fast to download and install.

You can save in OO format, or MS Office formats. It will also open the .docx (pptx, etc) formats from Office 2010. I used to use both (OO and MS O) on an old laptop, but when I bought my latest laptop (three years ago) I have been OO exclusively. Haven't missed MS O once...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Sounded like a bit of an impulse buy? And its a great example how customer service failed to capitalize on your impulse to actually pay for that type of big ticket software.

Thats the problem with the big box i guess. Since no one was scoring a commission off of you. You where not important enough.. :(

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Half an impulse buy.

I have been waiting for Outlook 2010 since I am currently on Outlook 2003 and I had decided some time ago that I wanted a new Email client. I toyed with going with GMAIL at $50 a year (I need the paid version) but then decided on an upgraded Outlook. Now I'm rethinking Google! Truth be told, I will likely pick up Outlook at some point but now I'll likely wait until it goes on sale and I won't buy from Best Buy (the owners of BB and FS) out of principle.

The rest of the suite was likely more impulse since I do have Office 2007.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Did you try the trial first from the office website? I am running one copy of office 2010 at my office and enjoy it. Not sure if the professional version is worth the premium though. I. Have had similar experiences with staples in how they sell MS products so i usually buy online.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Professional Version is the same as H & O but adds Outlook and you get to install all apps on three computers.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Home and Business has outlook as well. That is the version I was referring to Professional gives you access and publisher from what I have read.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The download version of Office 2010 Pro is $280 on the MS web site (US and Canada.) Not sure if the license is the same. I've noticed that FS and BB have started to charge more than suggested retail for a number of products. That's another reason not to buy from them. The last version of MS Office I purchased was the XP (2003?) version. With Win7 I switched to OO. I also switched to Mozilla Thunderbird some time ago (fewer bugs, similar functionality, better security and the price is right.) IMHO, MS Office is overkill for home use. For business use, a case could be made to justify the expense. I don't see any upgrade pricing on the MS web site. Has MS done away with Office upgrades?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QS, yeah I had my version names mixed up but the edition I looked at was Suite + Outlook. I didn't want the version with access and publisher.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Professional Version is the same as H & O but adds Outlook and you get to install all apps on three computers.
Hugh, is this true about being able to install Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 on 3 machines???

I was under the impression that only the retail license terms for "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010" allow for installation on up to three home computers?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The package for Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 said on three computers and I spoke to a "Microsoft Guru" at Best Buy who confirmed this. I had gone to BB earlier and spoke to the Guru. I went to FS a little later where I tried to buy it.

I was surpised because I thought only the student edition could go on three and Outlook (sold separately) could only go on one machine.

The Guru told me that if I bought Outlook 2010 separately it could go on two machines. By buying Home and Office I could get all applications on three machines including Outlook which was why I thought it was the best deal for me.

The box on the shelf also indicated three machines.

EDIT: In reading the Microsoft websites, it does not appear I am correct, however, the box says installed on up to three computers and the Microsoft Guru also told me that so................. my advice is to confirm.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'll definately confirm this before I buy...because if you can indeed put Home and Business on 3 machines, I think it's a worthwhile investment...even though I'm running 2007 right now.

I love Outlook and would never be able to get by with the version that doesn't include it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW, I read the box on the shelf (that doesn't contain software) multiple times and it said three.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.