Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to learn that Rogers doesn't include that in its basic cable package. Everywhere else I've lived FOX is part of basic cable. This puts a hurting on my football watching.

·
Banned
434 Posts
yeah eastlink is the same here in halifax. im only interested in 4 channels myself, but of course they're spread all over the place. $50+ for 4 channels? no thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CRTC Rules. If fox is not available off air locally then it's considered a distant signal then it's required to be on a tier. I fox was not always a network station so the rules for it are different in every market. the CW and my tv are also not available everywhere and where they are they are only on digital basic or part of a package.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not so sure about the CRTC rules. Fox was moved to the basic tier in New Brunswick years ago.
I doubt it's CRTC rules either - the cable companies serving London just never seemed to be motivated to carry FOX. We only got FOX in the first place because WJBK switched from CBS to FOX in December 1994. Prior to that most of the cable systems in the communities surrounding London carried WOIO (Cleveland) or WKBD (Detroit).

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's the same with Shaw too. In Vancouver, KCPQ FOX (Seattle) and KSTW CW (Seattle) are on basic. But in Nanaimo (for example), FOX is on Tier 1, and CW is on Digital Basic.

Another intersting thing with FOX, is that with Shaw Kelowna, they get the Seattle version of the US local networks, except for FOX, in which they receive the Spokane version instead.

In BC, for our Eastern US timeshifting networks, we get the Detroit versions, except for FOX, which is from Rochester NY.

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
As far as CRTC rules are concerned, Fox is treated as one of the major networks. CRTC calls them 4 + 1. ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC + PBS. For a lot of the cable companies Fox started after the network had established, so some of the companies put the new network in one of the tiers. Since Rogers and Shaw are conglomerates of individual local companies, they've just kept the local channel lineup the same in a lot of cases.

CW is not considered a network by the CRTC. Most of the CW stations are former "superstations" and are still classified that way. In most cases they have to be bundled with either a premium movie network or Family Channel.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS have historically been in the basic tier in London since the 1950s. For that reason alone they remain there. When FOX first started, it was not recognized by the CRTC and carriage was not allowed. All US stations in London are considered to be distant so carriage of FOX was denied for several years. The Detroit station that switched from CBS to FOX was actually removed in London due to the status of FOX. FOX was added several years later when it was recognized by the CRTC. London has received the short end of the stick from both Rogers and the CRTC for a number of years. Stations were frequently removed due to changes in status, reception problems (usually due to newly licensed Canadian stations) or because Toronto centric Rogers didn't feel like upgrading equipment for carrying US stations in London. (Rogers once tried to replace all the Detroit stations with Buffalo stations and recently deleted Erie stations.) It's rather ironic since Rogers Cable got their start in London by carrying distant US network stations from Cleveland and Detroit in the 1950s and 1960s.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The only reason we receive My Network TV (and at once time, The WB/UPN) on basic cable is because WUAB-TV43 Cleveland was an independent and grandfathered here. Once the The WB and UPN launched, WUAB tried to do both, quickly dumping (for some foolish reason) WB for UPN up until the demise of the "netlets". Once MyNet launched, WUAB found a new affiliate.

That's quasi-OT, but you're right about London getting the short end of the stick. I don't know if you can get a CW or MyNet on basic elsewhere in Ontario and/or Atlantic Canada, but it's not much of a solice to us for net getting Fox on basic. Don't get me wrong... I cherish the "independent feel" to WUAB for the rest of their daytime/evening/overnight schedule, but it's their MyNet affiliation that's a waste for me. Wouldn't matter if they were on barely stronger CW.

My whole post is pretty-OT, so mods can feel free to delete it w/ my advanced apologies. To get it back on track-- the CRTC should get w/ the times and accept Fox is a "4+1" even though WJBK isn't grandfathered here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts