Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That say a network like the history channel or TLC put 5 or 8 good programs on in a week and the other programs all junk ?

Is it do to cost? It cost too much money to put good programs on so they put on cheaper programs .

So a network will buy 15% good programs and 85% cheap programs?It is cost why they do that .It cost too much.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It is because there are too many cable channels so each one will only have a few good shows to get your money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Honestly, what do you mean?

Several of your sentences make no sense and several words are misspelled. Please proof your posts before posting.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The networks buy the program for x amout of time and the advertisement pay for the cost and profit of the network.

Most networks are not doing well and lossing lots of money so I'm not surprised if 80% programs are cheap programs .The good programs cost alot of money and the junk programs cost very little money.

For a network to air dirty jobs,the colony or mythbusters is going to cost alot more than cash cab or time-Warp .

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The OTA networks may not be doing well but many specialty channels are doing very well. There are too many specialty channels for the amount of programming they air. That's why there are so many repeats and low budget programs. They could get better programming but that would be expensive and is really not necessary due to the protectionist regulations for broadcasting. What does a specialty channel really need to get subscribers, one popular show a week or two? After that it's just extra money spent for little or no gain in revenue. Expectations for specialty channels in Canada are hitting new lows all the time so don't expect it to get better. I dropped all the specialty channels and just sub to one, when possible, or a single theme pack when a show I want to see is being aired.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OTA networks may not be doing well but many specialty channels are doing very well.
What do you mean.

There are too many specialty channels for the amount of programming they air. That's why there are so many repeats and low budget programs.
That makes no sense more channels more competition that = better program and lower cost.

They could get better programming but that would be expensive and is really not necessary due to the protectionist regulations for broadcasting.
For local programing/networks yes but the government will not give money to non local programing /networks
What does a specialty channel really need to get subscribers, one popular show a week or two? After that it's just extra money spent for little or no gain in revenue. Expectations for specialty channels in Canada are hitting new lows all the time so don't expect it to get better. I dropped all the specialty channels and just sub to one, when possible, or a single theme pack when a show I want to see is being aired.

Alot of TV now is going to low budget programing and cheap reality TV.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well for one thing, one man's junk may be another man's entertainment, so you consider something as junk may be very popular with the majority of viewers.

Secondly, how do you know most networks aren't doing very well. Recent reports seem to suggest they are doing rather well, and many "specialty" channels are very profitable.

Thirdly, the notion that more channels makes more competition which equals better programming is a fallacy in today's TV world IMHO. This would only be true if each channel was independently owned and bought/produced it's own programming. What is it you want that History TV doesn't have and you can't find elsewhere. I mean, there are only so many viewers so only a limited amount of funds for programming.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well for one thing, one man's junk may be another man's entertainment, so you consider something as junk may be very popular with the majority of viewers.
So true !!
Secondly, how do you know most networks aren't doing very well. Recent reports seem to suggest they are doing rather well, and many "specialty" channels are very profitable.
Read up on the government giving money to the networks.

Thirdly, the notion that more channels makes more competition which equals better programming is a fallacy in today's TV world IMHO.
I think you trying to say the notion that more channels makes more competition which equals better programming is false .

Why is that , explain.

This would only be true if each channel was independently owned and bought/produced it's own programming.
What do you mean.

What is it you want that History TV doesn't have and you can't find elsewhere. I mean, there are only so many viewers so only a limited amount of funds for programming.
There is only a handful of learning networks than the 900+ other networks .And mosty the other networks do not air the programs on the learning networks .

·
Registered
379 Posts
Other than CBC, what networks do the government give money to? I could be wrong but I always thought it was the show-makers that got the money. And which other 900+ networks do you mean? There's only a handful of networks in Canada. Most channels on Canadian TV are concentrated under the ownership of a few big companies.

I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding your arguement. I'm not trying to belittle it, I just can't figure out what it is you're trying to say.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
That makes no sense more channels more competition that = better program and lower cost.
If that were true, why are you complaining about so many bad shows? Free market dogma doesn't apply in a world where good writing and acting talent is scarce.

The truth of the matter is that there's a finite amount of money for quality programming. When it's spread out among five channels, you get a lot of quality programming. When it's spread out among 500 channels, you get the same number of quality shows also spread out amongst 500 channels.

That of course means that most of the time on most of the channels needs to be filled with cheap stuff.

Alot of TV now is going to low budget programing and cheap reality TV.
See above. Programming budgets have gone down because the same audience is fragmented amongst a lot more channels. It's less viewers per channel and less programming money per channel, with the same amount of time to fill. This, they need a lot of cheap programming. Reality TV is cheap. Reruns are cheap. Buying five shows and running them over and over again is cheap.

Quality, original scripted shows are not cheap. If you want more of that, then you want fewer channels.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Cable/sat. channels get most of their revenue by subscribing to their service.So each channel will have few good shows to get you to subscribe and rest of the programs will be be cheap.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's why I believe there are too many channels on TV today. There should be no reason anyone should need more than 35 channels, not including sports or movie packages, or on-demand.

I've never understood why people think more channels is better. The number of channels available now is just too overwhelming.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The number of channels available now is just too overwhelming.
I agree. With so many channels, scanning a guide is time consuming and not very efficient. To top it off, the electronic guides from BDUs are so terse and incomplete, it's often difficult to make a rational decision.

I find it's better to go to a site like Zap2It, TV.com, Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb and search for programs I want to watch by category. Then I would like to hit the 'Record' link to have the program recorded when it is on. 'Would like to' are the key words here because that functionality is almost always missing with conventional TV. We are now stuck with slowly wading through the dregs of years past in order to find, or not, a show to watch.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that were true, why are you complaining about so many bad shows? Free market dogma doesn't apply in a world where good writing and acting talent is scarce.
I can think of alot good programs but they are not airing it.First we need to understand network and channels has we seem be confused on that part here.

That look at the new discovery science channel in Canada .Why such little programming and repeats .There are lots of programming for the US discovery science channel and less repeats .

The discovery health channel in the US is way better programming than the discovery health channel in Canada that is no more than like TLC and slice channel than health channel theme .

The truth of the matter is that there's a finite amount of money for quality programming. When it's spread out among five channels, you get a lot of quality programming. When it's spread out among 500 channels, you get the same number of quality shows also spread out amongst 500 channels.
For scfi yes not a cop drama.You lucky if a scfi or space scfi show makes it to the 4 season .No where can the space channel or scfi channel have season and spin off season like law and order,CSI,bones ,NCIS so on.

The star trek season is the only exception to the rules and even they do not match the cop drama shows like law and order,CSI,bones ,NCIS so on getting to 10 season and higher.

That of course means that most of the time on most of the channels needs to be filled with cheap stuff.
There was lots of good shows in the 90's they could have on but they are not airing it.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why I believe there are too many channels on TV today. There should be no reason anyone should need more than 35 channels, not including sports or movie packages, or on-demand.

I've never understood why people think more channels is better. The number of channels available now is just too overwhelming.
The problem here is the 900+ channels are airing the same thing.Look I want to watch x-files and the outerlimits I cannot find it on the 900+ channels .

Alot of the time I want to watch CSI and NCIS and they are on many channels but not the time I want to watch it.

Same with Manhunter ,first 48 ,Billy the Exterminator and Dog the bounty hunter most of the time I want to watch it but it is not on the time I want to watch it.

Same with cops fox and the simpsons.

The TLC use to be more for guys now it is more for girls.I don't think you going get too many guys watching cooking ,banking, 17 kids and counting ,a baby story ,a makeover story ,a model life ,a wedding story ,bringing home baby ,cake boss,DC cupcakes ,fabulous cakes ,four weddings ,hone we're killing the kids ,I didn't know I was pregnant ,kids by the dozen ,The little couple ,little people big world ,my unique family ,one big happy family ,say yes to the dress ,sarah palin's alaska ,toddlers & tiaras ,what not to wear so on !!!

This for girls these times of programs.I don't think you going get too many guys watching this.

The 900+ channels are airing the same thing and cheap shows.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I can think of alot good programs but they are not airing it.First we need to understand network and channels has we seem be confused on that part here.

That look at the new discovery science channel in Canada .Why such little programming and repeats .There are lots of programming for the US discovery science channel and less repeats .

The discovery health channel in the US is way better programming than the discovery health channel in Canada that is no more than like TLC and slice channel than health channel theme .
Talk to the government about cancon rules then.

For scfi yes not a cop drama.You lucky if a scfi or space scfi show makes it to the 4 season .No where can the space channel or scfi channel have season and spin off season like law and order,CSI,bones ,NCIS so on.

The star trek season is the only exception to the rules and even they do not match the cop drama shows like law and order,CSI,bones ,NCIS so on getting to 10 season and higher.
That's a function of viewers, and thus money. Nothing more. A lot more people watch CSI then watch sci-fi shows.

There was lots of good shows in the 90's they could have on but they are not airing it.
Isn't 90's stuff all that channels like Comedy Gold show?

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's an X-Files marathon on Investigation Discovery starting at Noon eastern on Saturday January 1st.
That is the problem here the Investigation Discovery should not air that type of programming.The fox network,Spike or space network should be airing it.

Even the reality TV stuff on the history channel have nothing to do with history .

Talk to the government about cancon rules then.
What does this mean.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
@nec207: There are a few things you should be aware of, which would help you immensely in understanding why channels on Canadian cable TV are the way they are.
• In your previous post, you asked what "cancon" is. That's a short form for Canadian content regulations, which are imposed on every domestic TV and radio station by the CRTC. Cancon, among other things, regulates the percentage of programming aired over a specific time period that must be of Canadian origin. See this: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm
• There are further conditions of licence for specialty TV channels that limit the kinds of programming it can offer. The CRTC uses programming categories to define what a station can show, and stations must adhere to whatever categories are listed in their conditions of licence. There might even been percentages imposed (only x% of programming can be drawn from category y).
Example 1: CTV News Channel couldn't suddenly start to show live sports without changing its licence conditions.
Example 2: CBC Country Canada got in trouble with the CRTC when it changed its name to Bold and stopped airing programming of interest to rural Canadians — a condition of its licence. CBC had to go back to the CRTC to get their licence amended. When the dust settled, CBC had to give in on putting some shows about rural Canada back on Bold.
Example 3: I can't find the link on the CRTC website, but I recall History got in trouble in the last year or two when its competitors complained to the CRTC that it was showing NCIS repeats.
• As for shows being on at times that are inconvenient for your viewing, perhaps you should consider using a PVR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts