Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, the media brought to light scams which utilized the delayed dial-tone or hang-up feature implemented years ago. Some carriers, like Shaw refuse to acknowledge there is such a thing.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Actually, it's more than just moving from one phone to another. It has to do with some of the dialing features on pulse dial phones. I don't recall the details, as I've had touch tone since long before those things appeared but, IIRC, you could briefly hang up and then dial something for that feature. Phones have a "flash" button that's intended to be used with it, which briefly "hangs up" the phone.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I've heard of these scams, but never experienced one personally. I have heard the dial tone does sound questionable, so someone like me would probably notice it and hang up and use my cell phone to call my bank, but other people may not pay attention. Either way, with the decline of landline phones this will be less common but it seems the hackers / scammers are going even harder on trying scam the already small landline clientele.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
It's not just a delayed hangup. Remote callers had, and may still have, the capability to lock the line for several minutes after the called line had been hung up. I experienced this with a nuisance caller that stayed on the line with a recording and prevented any outgoing calls. That was with a touch tone POTS line. It's not much of a stretch for them to put up a fake dial tone after the line has been hung up. Thanks for the tip. (y)

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I recall reading about this a while back but it is a good reminder. I plan to tell my older relatives since they use landlines exclusively and with age seem to believe just about anything they read online or a stranger tells them.

My mom is getting quite good at sniffing out the fraudsters after I gave her a few pointers. Even to the point where she won't pick up the phone if she does not recognize the number. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.