Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago when I was much younger my friend introduced me to Ethernet Networking. I started my own home network so I wanted to be fancy and bought this Ethernet RJ45 wall plate from some discount store, cant remember which one it was but it looked very similar to the one pictured. I decided to wire it up and was having nothing but trouble getting my connection to work.

That's when I invited my friend over to take a look. I remember him specifically telling me not to use those wall plates with the screw terminals, he said the offices and schools don't use them because no body screws down ethernet anymore, it must be "punched down" for a solid reliable connection and to meet certification.
So I went and got proper ethernet wall plates with the punch down, and what do you know? it not only worked, but it worked really well.

I have been wondering why I still see those wall plates being sold at some places like dollar stores, discount stores, discount electronic stores. Who still goes out and buys these if they wont guarantee a certifiable network connection? I know why some places sell them tho, cus they don't care and will find a sucker. sometimes they're even bundled as a combo phone and Ethernet jack or ethernet and coax jack

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Yeah untwisting twisted pair (i.e. cat5 cable) will for sure impact a digital signal. I have only seen those plates used for phonelines, intercoms, security systems and some low voltage applications. Which do not have strict tolerances and are analog. So maybe they are sold mainly for this purpose?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I only had one occasion to use a punch down connector. The ones I use are the wall plates with a square cut out and you snap in whatever kind of connector you want. However they are more expensive than the dollar store screw on.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
@Jorgek

Those are called "Keystone" connectors and there's a system of various connector types, not just Ethernet. For Ethernet, those are all I use. I have used the connectors that don't require punch tool and they are horrible. They also won't fit two across in a Decora wall plate. Keystone connectors use a 110 punch, which is similar to a BIX punch. If you're serious about Ethernet wiring, use only Keystone connectors.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I prefer wall plates that have an RJ45 jack on both sides. Most of the time I just coil up the extra wire in the box and pull it out through a wall plate when needed.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I prefer wall plates that have an RJ45 jack on both sides. Most of the time I just coil up the extra wire in the box and pull it out through a wall plate when needed.
Those are available with Keystone.

·
Administrator
472 Posts
My keystone jacks didn't require a punch down tool but just a plate that folds down over all the wires at once and snaps into place.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've been told Those wall plates pictured in my post with the screw terminals, They may very well have an RJ45 connector on it but I've been told todays Ethernet networks have strict specifications and certifications that these jacks would not meet the criteria. They were probably pretty good for some of the networks used 25 years ago and older however todays networks need something better.

I personally use keystone jack inserts into a keystone wall plate. these have teeth which "bite" into the wires, this will ensure good connectivity and no signal lost. when you have the screw on terminals, any oxidatoin, or corrosion or debris on the loose wires or even the screws may cause intermittent connection issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts