Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 61" Hitachi plasma TV, set up in surround sound through an Onyko receiver and Rogers PVR box. For some reason I have done something to the set up where some of the HD channels have black bars top and bottom especially in the 300's channels. The black bars on those channels are so exaggerated that their depth is about 6" on the top and bottom.
In the 500 channels it is more like 3" top and bottom.
Wonder if anyone can tell me what setting I have off, it wasn't always that way, I must have changed something by mistake. Some of the non HD channels look expanded. I have tried all the different Aspect ratios and zooms but none of them seem to fix the problem. :confused:
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Please look at the following FAQs on Black Bars, as well as stretch modes.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch modes.

It's possible that the PVR is not set up properly to send HD signals to the TV. There should be an "info" or "recall" or similar button on the TV remote that will tell you what signal the TV is receiving - is it receiving 720P or 1080i for the HD channels? What's the make/model of the PVR? It's also possible that you've not used the proper connections to the TV since if you use an SD connection (like composite video, S-video, RF-coax) then you're sending SD, not HD to the TV. For HD you need to use component video or HDMI - make sure you're on the correct input on the TV and if you weren't remove any other inappropriate connections. See post 2 of the black bar FAQ for additional info on that.

Are you going "through" the AVR with the video signals or direct to the TV. Any of these devices (TV, AVR, STB) could be set up incorrectly in terms of stretch modes or connections or settings. Give us exact details of how everything is connected and what connections you're using. Provide model numbers for all equipment. Here's an FAQ on Connections so that you can use the correct lingo.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

See also the following post, useful for those new to this forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your very informative response. Here is the information I think you are asking for

Television -Hitachi 61" Plasma Director's Series P60X901
PVR - Rogers Scientific Altanta HDTV Explorer 8300- set on Passthrough
Onkyo Receiver - TX-DS797

Everything was originally hooked up by Kromer and it worked fine until I decided to hook up my computer to the front connections. From that day something changed (even though I removed the connection to the computer)

When I turn on the TV the first thing that shows is the YPBPR:3
I used the info button on the TV remote and on the HD channel is says 1080i and on the none HD channel is says 480i.

It was all hooked up using component video, not HDMI.

The TV is actually used as a "monitor" only. All the sound comes out of the 5 speaker surround sound which is routed through the receiver.
The input on the TV is set to CABLE (STB)

I don't know if this info helps at all. I have no tried every setting I can think of. Some of the none HD channels are looking pretty blurry too. Something has definitely changed, I just don't know what???

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Something in the stretch modes of either the STB or the TV is incorrect. I suggest you try rebooting both by unplugging the TV overnight and by unplugging the PVR (after turning it off and making sure it's not recording) for a minute - you can then plug it back in.

You may also wish to tune to a 1080i HD channel on the STB and go into your "settings set picture format" and change that to "fixed" instead of "passthrough" just for a test.

The input on the TV is set to CABLE (STB)
This concerns me a bit unless Kromer changed the component video input name to this, as this nomenclature would normally indicate an RF-coax input, which is SD, but earlier you say you see YPbPr, which is component video. :confused: Make sure the TV is on a component video input, perhaps even change the component video cables to your other component input (the specs for the TV say you have two) Change the TV to that input.

You should be able to cycle through the various STB stretch modes using the # button and you should be on "normal". On the TV there appear to be 4 HD stretch modes, so cycle through those, but only after trying the "reboot" to see if that cures things.

Make sure that there are no other video cables going from the STB to the TV, only component video (Red/Green/Blue). If composite, S-video or RF-coax are connected to any outputs of the STB and going to the TV, disconnect them. You can, of course, leave the RF-coax input, since that's your incoming signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes sense that I should try a reset. I never even thought of that. Since it has always been fine until I plugged in my computer into the front connections, and I did not change any of the original connections there would be no other reason for the picture to have changed (unless Rogers did something on their end). Thanks for the idea. I am in the GTA (Bathurst/401 area). If it doesn't work, I will definitely be in touch! Sounds like you could fix just about anything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts