Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well recently installed an ota antenna and amp and i was screwing around i did a scan with the tuner ste to cable and now i recieve several rogers cable channels ota, i live in orangeville ontario just wondering why i can recieve these and if there is a possible way to make some channels better (wishful thinking)
thanks in advance for any info

ps i did search for the answer but million posts to sift through so i gave up sorry if this has been answered b4

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
If you're receiving cable channels OTA, then there's a leak in the cable somewhere, which should be fixed. If so, then you'd better call Rogers so they can fix it, as they're legally required to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naah im not calling them what do u mean leak i just want the reception better ;)its not interfering with the atsc tuner its only on the qam

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
Here's the FAQ on the topic of QAM channels:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

Some channels may be unencrypted for free preview by Rogers, however, these channels should be clear. Perhaps you're picking up analogue cable channels, or perhaps you're picking up analogue OTA channels "leaking" into the connection or cable channels leaking, which is even worse.

Perhaps if you provided more information on which channels you're receiving and their channel numbers, we could help. Also please advise if you're connected to cable, or only to an antenna.

Check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

I moved your post to the Rogers forum.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
perhaps one of your neighbours has a cable amplifier somewhere that has a loose piece of wire coming off it not connecting to anything that is acting as a transmitting antenna?

thats why its always a good idea to terminate unused portions of splitters, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with other posters that if in fact you are receiving the Rogers channels with an OTA antenna and not directly connected to cable, then you want to call Rogers and report same.

This type of leakage can create major interference to Police, Fire Ambulance communication as well as other public and commercial radio services.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
eRock1: Depending on where you are, there are some channels broadcast in clear QAM on the Rogers network, including 60+ audio stations (no video). In my area of Kitchener (for example), I also receive BET in clear QAM (standard definition only).

Follow 57's link for more information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts