Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When I record TV shows from a particular station (CKWS, Kingston, Ontario, real and virtual channel 11) when I watch the shows sometimes the audio is a radio station instead of the TV show audio.
I am recording on a PC using NextPVR, HDHomerun tuner, and a homemade antenna.
If I play it on VLC or Windows Film&TV, then I can choose the audio track (Dolby 2 channel, Dolby 6 channel, or something like that). 1 track has the TV audio, 1 track has the radio station.
If I play it on NextPVR or Windows Media Player, I don't see any choice of audio track, and I get the radio audio.
Is the TV station putting the radio on there on purpose? If you like that radio station maybe that is useful.
Or did they accidentally get some wires crossed?
Or is my antenna doing something funny?
Or is there a recording setting or playback setting I should change?

On a different channel (WWTI, Watertown NY, real 31, virtual 50) there are also 2 audio tracks, 1 has described video, 1 doesn't. That can be a useful feature if you need it.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
NextPVR or Windows Media Player are probably using a third party audio decoder. For NextPVR, look under Settings>Decoder to see what is being used. It may be necessary to open the decoder settings and set the audio track to use there. It may also be that the default audio decoder cannot handle Dolby Digital that is used for the video audio tracks and is defaulting to the audio channel instead. In that case, a different audio decoder may need to be installed and used.

See also NextPVR - Decoders

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried looking into the decoder settings yet. But I did record that channel on a different PC with a Hauppage tuner card, and it ended up with 4 audio tracks: 2-channel Dolby, 6-channel Dolby, and 2 different radio stations. I think those radio stations are owned by the same media company as the TV station, so I assume it is done on purpose (it's a feature, not a bug).
I will look for the setting so that it records or plays back with the TV audio, instead of needing to fiddle with the audio setting every time I watch a recorded show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.