Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been running a WHS for about a year. As recommended, I run it 'headless' i.e. sans monitor and input devices.

Last night I noticed CPU occupancy going through the roof, so disconnected my RDC session and hooked up a monitor and input devices to the WHS to explore further.

The WHS runs 24x7 hosting media and a few other tasks, but I'm puzzled by the way it does RDC. Specifically, after sitting at the machine staring at the error logs on the monitor, I went back upstairs and proceeded to login via RDC, whereupon I was presented with a fresh screen that DID NOT show the system error logs I was reviewing in the basement.

I understand that WHS may be hosting another user session, but what I don't understand is when I log in as Administrator (both locally and RDC), I can't see the same screen (under active logins I observed Administrator 0 and Administrator 1 (via RDC) logged-in).

Is there any way to configure WHS so that the RDC login presents the same active window as a local login for the same account (i.e. like a non-WHS RDC scenario)?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Instead of starting remote desktop from the Accessories menu go to start then RUN

In the box that comes up type in:
mstsc /v:IP of WHS /admin

example:
mstsc /v:192.168.0.10 /admin

This will start a RDC session as if you were sitting at the console.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ wow, that's awesome. Where does one find this stuff?

I had to adjust the command line slightly for my RDC client (XP64Pro), but it works like a charm:

mstsc /v:IP of WHS /console

...which I found via the /? cmd-line option. I also found that I could substitute <server name> for the IPaddr.

BTW, for the curious, the reason I wanted this was that (like a true server, I suppose) WHS sets up new instances of apps/services launched in the RDC session, even if they're running at the console level. Hence changes made in the RDC session are not maintained in the console instance of the app e.g. disable Run on system startup etc.

Thanks again!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The collective wealth of knowledge amongst our members always amazes me.

Thanks to all those that contribute and help others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
^ wow, that's awesome. Where does one find this stuff?

I had to adjust the command line slightly for my RDC client (XP64Pro), but it works like a charm:

mstsc /v:IP of WHS /console

I also found that I could substitute <server name> for the IPaddr.

Thanks again!
I get to work with this windows stuff on a daily basis so you learn a few tricks here and there... :D

The /admin switch is used on the newer RDP clients, the /console was used in earlier versions of RDP.

If you type in "mstsc /?" (no quotes) it will give you all the available options you can provide.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The basic explanation is that you had 2 separate sessions. One was Console, the other was a regular Terminal Session.

The /admin switch will give you session 0. Anything over and above is standard terminal sessions. It's a good general practice to install things in the Console session.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts