Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Whole Home PVR (WHPVR) in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0)

336K views 996 replies 136 participants last post by  wmjfoley85 
#1 ·
Edit by 57: Please use the link below to discuss the IPG/Firmware. Use this thread for Whole Home discussions.

New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Things to know about WHPVR post: Whole Home PVR in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Additional discussions re Filters: WHPVR filters - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Adding a STB summary: Whole Home PVR in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Page 43 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

The new NextBox 3.0 model 9865 can also be incorporated into the WHPVR

Stand-alone 9865 (NextBox 3.0) Discussions: NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

The maximum used to be 2 Cisco PVRs and 6 Cisco STBs in the WHPVR system, but it now appears you can have at least 3 PVRs - Contact Rogers for limitations at your specific installation. Stand-alone STBs or PVRs can be "outside" the WHPVR inside your home. For example you can have stand-alone SA STBs/PVRs in your home, but not incorporated into WHPVR. Or Cisco STB/PVRs beyond the number allowed inside WHPVR inside your home.

You must contact Rogers to set up WHPVR and typically a home visit is necessary to implement as well as adding equipment

I have heard from a GOOD source the whole home pvr will be in Ontario in early to mid Feb. this will be a nice feature and can handle upto 4 cisco hd stb 1 of them having to be 8642 have a sleek new guide system very close to bells fibe tv and this will require a tech to visit house's to setup i do have alot of details about this (over 80% of techs have completed the course on this at this time) there is a fair bit of change over for this to be working in ones house
-A big down fall on this anyone that owns a 8300hd pvr or 4250 hd these boxes will not work on the Whole Home PVR there will be no software update to allow them to be on the system either
-Once a tech installs this in your home this will also not allow you as a customer to visit a rogers store to swap a modem of stb any longer
-currnet customers will also have to pay a onetime install fee to have this set up in there house where anew customer still gets the current free install

See less See more
#112 · (Edited)
An update...

So the tech just showed up...

He calls me from the truck and asks me what boxes I need switched. I told him that I already have the compatible boxes, I just need the filter hooked up for the Whole Home PVR. He states that he never got a work order to do this, but comes up anyhow.

He takes a look at my boxes, they are compatible, except one (which is my 4250, but I don't care about that one), and says that they have not started the rollout yet. He doesn't even have the filters. It's not suppose to start for another 2 weeks. He also says that my boxes will need to be switched anyhow (even if they are compatible). So this whole thing is a complete mess. I don't think 2 people at Rogers know the same thing anymore.

I am waiting now for him to "cancel" my work order and Rogers is suppose to call me shortly to reschedule..

When I told him that I don't have the new software yet, he said that once they activate the service on my line, they will push it all up to me.

And I thought it would be that easy...!

Edit: Rogers just rescheduled me for the 25th. (They are starting the rollout on the 24th).

#113 ·
I would go easy on the technician. its not his fault he does not have the filters and was not provided the correct information. He was just doing his job as dispatched by the dispatchers. You might want to call in and complain to have the dispatcher re-coached on his or her job functions because apparently someones making some mistakes. Also it could easily be the agent passing along the work order to the dispatcher could be making mistakes too, have them re-coached too.

#114 ·
I never mentioned anything about taking it on the tech, and I never did. I always respect them, including CSRs. I will see how it goes on the 25th before nicely complaining. I always expected it would not to be installed today, so wasnt surprised that it didn't happen.

I have once worked on a help desk, dealing with the public, and know what they go through each day.

#115 ·
The technician who came to install mine back in December was well trained in the WHPVR install, even though he just started doing them himself. He also was part of the internal beta test team before it expanded to include Rogers customers.

So it really depends who you get for the install. Some are more knowledgeable than others, and I also agree, they are only as good as the information/work order that's being fed to them by dispatch.

#117 ·
I hope he is wrong as well, but I personally don't care about my recordings.

No one mentioned so far that the boxes needed to be switched (from the various reports from beta testers), so I doubt it is required. As long as you have enhanced boxes (8642+4642s) with the latest firmware and a filter to prevent the MOCA signal from exiting your home, it's all that should be required. (Based on my limited knowledge of this so far)

I think the installer was confused with the work order that the CSR filled for him. It said that I needed my 1840 and 4250 changed, which I own. So unless they are willing to do this at no cost to me, I am fine with just having WHP (Whole home PVR) on just 2 of my boxes.

#118 ·
Now this is just a nice little possible leak, from customer service. Either she is confused and they are using the same Cisco box. But she told me that Rogers will be unveiling a new box, and they are calling it there NETBOX, and is compatible with the WHPVR.

I think she may be confused but who knows if rogers will actually release a new box.

#120 ·
And the Costcos that sell these Rogers boxes have a sign stating that these handle MOCA networking. I'm quite sure the boxes are the ones used for WHP. If they switch them, it would be a waste of time. I just cannot understand how they can be so slow as these are some of the most recent CISCO has to offer (I did see a 4652HD at CES this year, used to demo the MOCA technology)

#123 ·
Here's the thread on eHDDs for the 8642:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123790

It needs to be a SATA drive, no sleeping allowed and I believe limited to 1.5 TB, although most people have used the WD Black 1TB. There's also a sticky on upgrading the iHDD which most people recommend if you're not renting - Again 1TB WD Black recommended. It's possible that the new firmware will allow for larger drives, however, that would be at your risk. If you have any additional questions regarding the i/eHDDs, please use the appropriate thread.

#125 ·
You will be able to swap them if you would like, but at this current time the Whole Home PVR (Extender) Program has been put on hold till the bugs in the software are worked out, A date for the completion of the bugs is still unknown. So if you want to prepare and get swapped out you can, but chances of getting new Terminals with new software is unlikely at this point let alone calling to get the (Reverse Filter) installed. I am crossing my fingers just like everyone else that this will be a great improvement but I am not holding my breath either.

#127 ·
whpvr

i am, as most here are, happy that Rogers has finally come into this century. It appears they are having issues, as usual, but i ask those of you that compare rogers to bell CONSTANTLY.... have you ever actually been with bell? i have, and i tell you, they have just as many issues as rogers, they are just different. i agree that the rogers issues are annoying, but cant we just address those issues without always comparing to bell?

#128 ·
Well said. I have no doubt the amount of complaints are virtually equal for both companies. I just went through a long nightmare with Bell over their cell phones and service (I could rant for pages about my situation, but I digress), and just came to Rogers wireless. I was already an existing Rogers cable/internet customer.

There are times where I Daydream about going to Bell for their satellite, but then I remember my cell phone experience. Bottom line is they are all the same.

My biggest Rogers complaints have actually been with customer service... their products, in my experience have been nearly perfect. My biggest issue was exchanging a couple of rented PVR's for pixelation, etc... but I actually haven't had a problem with that in well over a year.

The new software update sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but there are already reports of speed improvements, etc with the incremental updates. I have no doubt in a few months it will all be sorted. Just remember the grass is always greener....

#129 ·
1-OK so the tech s cant just come and toss a filter in as they have to make sure the boxes network togethere and have the codes added to your acct.
2-1 of my co workers did the 1st install in simcoe county and he said it ewas a nightmare and there is so many issues still (it was a proto type install for area) 3.5hrs later still wouldnt work
3- they have set new roll out date for feb 26th ! for ont. dont hold your breath if you have a appt. booked the firmware is garbage still!

- Say what ever you want i deal with this daily being a tech! i read all the emails do all the courses ect.... i personaly dont belive it will be running til summer properly!
I personally belive it was arushed service to fight back to fibe! and they didnt get enough time spent on the in's and out's of the system !

And a course of under 1.5hrs for 10-15 techs to learn the system and see how it all works total b.s. if you ask me !

#131 ·
I cancelled my scheduled appointment for this Saturday. My boxes still aren't upgraded and from the looks of it, won't be for quite some time. So the installer would have just wasted his time.

Since I probably will switch to Fibe soon, I'd rather not waste another $50. I will use my Slingbox to stream my shows from my PVR onto my Boxee Box.

#135 ·
new FIRMWARE Information!

People who are waiting for the new FIRMWARE for their Cable Box! You can for a long time for it to take as your Boxes are not programmed to take the new Update!! (YET)

If you want the new Firmware. Call Rogers and says you are interested in the whole home PVR and if the REP over the phone put the code in your receiver to take the Update for the New Firmware / Next Box 2.0 or new Guide!

12 hours Later my Box finally got the new Code!! new Guide!

Cisco 8642 !!

I know this work as I Did it yesterday and this morning my Box has the new Firmware!

Hope this Helps!!

#136 ·
Big Ad in the Globe this morning for "NEXTBOX2.0", so I'm guessing they're ready to go "live" now/soon. There was lots of fine print - one requirement was for Rogers Internet at your home - but I'm not sure if that is a requirement if you don't wish to stream to say an iPad on your WiFi...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.