Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
wysiwyg is correct. Once the filter is installed, the tech closes the work order, which triggers the Whole Home PVR code on your account that will enable the feature, as explained to me when the tech did my install.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
57, if you are still in control as a moderator, can you please split out the discussions on the new IPG into its own thread (ie, separate it from the whole home pvr thread) ?
Done, please use the following thread for firmware IPG discussions and use this thread for whole home discussions.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150889

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It may have been asked here but I don't recall seeing an answer, but since the 8300s will not support Whole Home PVR, is Rogers going to upgrade existing customers who rent (or, like me, are on a rent-free-for-life deal)? Do they still replace rental units with recycled 8300s or have they run out now?

·
Registered
570 Posts
The one thing I don't understand is if there are still tones and tones of 8300's out there why didn't they updated as well, I say this because Cisco updated the Scientific Atlanta's 8300 which is now owned by Cisco, IF they wherent providing service for any of Scientific Atlantas products then why did they support the 8300 at all? It makes no sense to only update one box, all of the boxes should at least get some type of guide enhancment, but again most likely just blowing steam....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yes, the whole purpose of their old "winback promo" with free rental for life (or year 2048 in my case) is that you get free exchanges and upgrades as necessary. I upgraded my 8300HD to a 8642 when it came out without any troubles.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The SA 8300 does not support MoCA which is the technology that Rogers has chosen to use to network the terminals in your home and deploy the whole home pvr service. That's why it won't be receiving any of the upgrades.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
So according to the IPG update thread, that rollout is temporary on hold while they fix the issues. Does this mean that the Whole Home PVR rollout (slated for next week) has been put on hold as well? It needs the new firmware to run. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, Whole Home PVR needs the new IPG to run. I guess if you really want WHPVR they can push the new IPG to your boxes on an individual basis.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Still no update(I guess thats good news) But I called to find out when I will get it, considering some have stated its on hold yet others are still getting the update.

According to the CSR I spoke to, its this Monday FEB 6/12 at least in my part of Ottawa.

Now whether this actually happens come Monday remains to be seen.

So part of me wants the new features

BUT!!

part of me doesn't want the problems that are coming with the update.

So I'm in a catch 22 I guess. :( :confused:

Anyone wat to trade updates for one day so I can see the features?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Same with me. I'm in midtown Toronto and both of my boxes (8642 & 4642) are still not updated. I also am excited to checkout the new features, but not in a hurry to get the bugs!

I will call them next week to sign up for Whole Home and see what they say.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I doubt very much they are holding the firmware release, as I got it on one of my boxes two days ago. Now that I said that, here come 50 comments of "enter location here" "no update"

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Be happy that you don't have the update yet. The new software just isn't ready for primetime yet. It definitely feels like a first draft. I can already imagine the 4642s coming to a screeching halt if its trying to access and stream recordings from a networked pvr.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Be happy that you don't have the update yet. The new software just isn't ready for primetime yet. It definitely feels like a first draft. I can already imagine the 4642s coming to a screeching halt if its trying to access and stream recordings from a networked pvr.
That is an interesting observation. Has anyone had this problem yet?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The feature certainly has bugs to be ironed out. Some recordings refused to be played back on a 4642 while others have no problem. For awhile I was not able to delete recordings from a 4642 (it would complain the recording is in use, even though it was not) although this has been fixed in the lastest firmware update. And the whole "pause a recording on one TV; continue watching where I left off at another TV" feature doesn't quite work as advertised. It would only work if I pause AND exit a recorded show, then move to another location. If I only paused the show, and turn off the TV, it would not "bookmark" where I left off and it would not give me the option to resume watching at another location. I'm not sure if this has been fixed in the latest update, but it was buggy or not working at all when tested by the technician during the WHPVR installation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Home PVR Filter Installation

Was due for a Home PVR Filter installation today. Dispatch called and cancelled my appointment, no reason given but we can figure that out.

Was told to re-book after 13 Feb.

Still have no new IPG's on my two devices here in Ottawa/Orleans.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I just called the number. I expected to be on hold forever, but my call was immediately answered (no IVR or anything). I asked to sign up for the Whole Home PVR and she said it was her first request for this of the day (so I guess it's not that popular!)

So after putting me on hold several times, with info that didn't make sense, so I corrected her, I was able to get an appointment tomorrow evening. Let's see if it goes throught.. I told her that my boxes were not updated yet and she didn't know what to do. So I guess I will see what happens tomorrow.

I'll report back with results.

81 - 100 of 997 Posts