Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

621 - 640 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yes the filter is required so that it does not cause interference with others in the neighbourhood.

You can buy it, but rogers won't push out the software unless a technician has installed it for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So a couple of questions that I figure have been answered, but after browsing through the near 70 pages of posts and using search I can't find a direct answer that is newer than 12 months and several firmware updates.

We are in the process of flipping over our two 8300HD's and a basic HD reciver to the nextbox 3.0 boxes. We have a nextbox 3.0 and a 4642 in the system now. Tech is coming on monday to install the filter for WHPVR. So I have two questions:

1) can the WHPVR pause live TV (Yeah I figure no, but I need to be sure)
2) if I have two nextbox PVRs in the WHPVR system can they share between each other? I suspect that's a no brainer but I want to be sure before we spend the money.

Sadly the kids have grown up with the ability to 'pause' live TV and I don't want to lose it moving forward.

Thanks and apologies as I suspect this info is available somewhere else. I can't find it.

Rj

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
@rjmarsha

1) Only the PVR boxes can pause the live tv unfortunately.. not the 'remote' hd boxes. But, you can SCHEDULE recordings, from the HD box, onto the PVR.

2) Yes, if you got 2 PVRs, they can share between each other as well, you just have to CHOOSE the box you are listing the recordings from.. same as you would on the regular HD box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Should My NextBox 4642HD (Non PVR) Be Able to Schedule Recordings?

Quick question: should my NextBox 4642HD (not a PVR), slaved (networked? Unsure of the proper nomenclature) to my landlady's NextBox 3.0 PVR elsewhere in the house, be able to schedule recordings? I've always been able to do so (in fact, I've been able to do everything with it that I would with a PVR, except pause and rewind live TV), but it's lately been pretty flakey and picky about the whole thing, scheduling recordings then not executing them, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Normally, yes, a 4642 within the network loop of the pvr should be able to do those things.

It could be another issue, if its not doing it.. from a problem on the boxes, to signal between the two.

First I would try rebooting both boxes if they have not been done lately.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i added a new box to my home over the holiday, and they are forcing the tech to come out -- even though i have the WHPVR already set up and working -- but they also said that there is NO CHARGE for these visits.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well, at least, they are not charging for it.
(make sure to double check your bill, JUST in case).

Though.. it shouldn't be necessary.. but may vary based on the tech you get on the phone, if they know how to push it out or not.

Normally, they want to send the tech out.. just to MAKE SURE, that that TV outlet, is within the 'network' loop, and not outside of it..
That's literally all the tech should have to do.. confirm where it is connected to (switch it around if necessary), and call in for the software push.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think only the dispatcher can push it out now. I had a friend who added a box that was WH capable to his account without truck roll and the service was not enabled. They dispatched a tech who came to the home and did nothing but call his dispatcher who got it running within seconds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the WHPVR filters installed a couple of months ago, which networked my new NB3 and an older NB2(160gb), eSata'd with a 1Tb eHD. It all ran good except for the tuning lag from the NB2.

Over the past few weeks, and likely after an update I noticed the rented NB2 was lagging even more so, and my eHD wasn't working seamlessly anymore.

After putting her through the gears I have confidence in the NB3 & WHPVR, so I figured I don't need the NB2 anymore. Off to the Rogers store I went to swap it for either the 4642, or a second NB3. Being very skeptical about the lag factor I asked the CSR if it would still be there with a 4642/NB3 setup, he assured me it was more than likely due to the age of the NB2 and its pvr functions. I opted for the 4642. Now the other CSR told me because I wasn't replacing the NB2 with another NB2 I would require a tech to visit my home to network it to the NB3, so I scheduled the free appt.

Once home, I re-booted the NB3, booted the 4642 and everything worked fine. The only thing the 4642 didn't have was the PAUSE/FF/RWD live tv feature. So I called Rogers to cancel the tech appt. this CSR told me the appt wasn't necessary, as long as it's an HD box.

Once I was happy with everything working well I re-installed my eHD onto the NB3, booted it up and it is now working well too.

Any WH operations from the 4642 still has a slight lag but nothing as noticeable as the NB2 was. I'm much happier with this setup, and if not having the PAUSE/FF/RWD live tv feature upstairs aggravates me in the future I'll just swap it for a second NB3!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
For the pause/FF, etc.. those need the LOCAL hard drive to be able to do it.. which the 4642 doesn't have..
I guess TECHNICALY it could be maybe coded, that it goes across the WH and stores it on the PVR unit..

I had the whole home setup on the 2nd day it came available.. with the 8642 and 2x 4642. The WH playback on the 4642 was MUCH slower even with that.. and is much improved by the 9865.
Likely, some of the slowness that is left there.. is just solely from the setting up the streaming part of it, etc. (like doing an initial buffering).

I guess in the end.. its HIT or MISS on getting the software pushed out automatically, by a CSR.. or having to have a tech out...
IF it ends up having to be a tech out.. just MAKE SURE that it is not a charged visit.. and double check your bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adding a Nextbox HD Terminal to Whole Home setup...

Hi All,

If I purchase an additional Nextbox HD Terminal (whatever the latest model is), is there a way to add it to my whole home PVR setup myself or do I need a technician to set it up for me. (I already have the whole home setup just want to add another terminal in the basement).

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi All,

If I purchase an additional Nextbox HD Terminal (whatever the latest model is), is there a way to add it to my whole home PVR setup myself or do I need a technician to set it up for me. (I already have the whole home setup just want to add another terminal in the basement).

Thanks
If it's going to an existing outlet that was already functioning in the whole home setup you most certainly should be fine to just to switch it yourself. Sadly, you're also almost certainly to get a rep that will try and tell you otherwise.

FWIW I switched from my 8642 to the new Nextbox 3 by picking it up at a store and adding it myself with no issues. But I've heard several techs and reps saying any change to your setup "should" have a technician visit. Fight it though, lol.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
While it is true you can add the 4642 (HD only) unit yourself, if you want WHPVR functionality you will have to call Rogers and try to convince a tech to push the software out without sending out a rep.

You would think Rogers would let them do this to decrease the amount of truck rolls.

·
Registered
371 Posts
He already has Whole Home, and the 9865 will already be on the new firmware. What software needs to be pushed?

Edit: Nevermind, I see he didn't specify a new PVR, I just assumed for some reason. It's possible it will already have the appropriate software though. But you're right, if it's still on SARA, it won't necessarily upgrade automatically.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
This has been discussed many of times in this thread. From the first page of this thread:
The maximum used to be 2 Cisco PVRs and 6 Cisco STBs in the WHPVR system, but it now appears you can have at least 3 PVRs - Contact Rogers for limitations at your specific installation. Stand-alone STBs or PVRs can be "outside" the WHPVR inside your home. For example you can have stand-alone SA STBs/PVRs in your home, but not incorporated into WHPVR. Or Cisco STB/PVRs beyond the number allowed inside WHPVR inside your home.
What is missing from there, and a mod should probably add it to the front, is that whenever you want to add an additional STB to your WHPVR (which at this time is only a 4642) so that the additional STB can view recordings from one of the two PVRs (being either the 8642 or 9865) you need to have the WHPVR Code added to the specific STB.

The rule of thumb is that you need to have Rogers roll a truck out and have the tech contact a (back-end) dispatcher to get WHPVR enabled on a STB. With that said, there have been a few select success stories (outlined in several different threads that I cant seem to find right now) where people were able to convince the CSR to enter into a screen/function they don't typically use to push the code and enable the WHPVR feature on the STBs without having a truck roll (and saving the end user $50 in the process) (From the WHPVR thread, see post 37 thru 41 re: CSR's being able to access the screen. HOWEVER, note that from this thread per post 628, this may have become restricted and a dispatcher may now be the only one allowed to push this code out).

The reason for the truck roll is to ensure you have the proper filters installed, although for those who ONLY have a WHPVR setup and the filter is at their head-end, this is a waste of time for the tech and money for the consumer (From the WHPVR filters thread, see post 6 and 7 for when a truck roll needs to occur). Also, Rogers will not allow for you to install the filter yourself (from this thread, see post 621)

Ideally, you want to have all your PVRs and STBs rented/purchased prior to ordering WHPVR to avoid several truck rolls. In my case, I had a 9865 and a 8642 but waited until I replaced by 8300HD with a 4642 before having Rogers come out. Otherwise, I would have had to pay $50 the initial setup and another $50 to add the 4642.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Rogers does not charge for truck rolls for adding additional boxes to your WHPVR network. They only charge for the initial setup. The system even alerts representatives that customers are not to be charged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having a tech come out and install the Whole Home, I have the Nextbox 3.0 PVR and a 2nd HD box, my question is... how long does it take them to have this installed? The lady on phone who set it up told me
anywhere from 2 to 4 hours... really???? Don't they just come and configure the settings in each box etc and done? Why so long?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
All that needs to be done is to install a filter, check that the NextBoxes are hooked up correctly and have good signals. Then Whole Home is activated from the head end. A new receiver install might take 2-4 hours but an existing installation that is just adding Whole Home is typically about an hour.

621 - 640 of 997 Posts