Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 320 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
2 8642's and 2 4642's working?

Does anyone have this same setup with WHPVR working? 2 8642's and 2 4642's that can all communicate, PVR's can see and play each others recordings and 4642's can both see and play both 8642 PVR's?

·
Registered
14 Posts
- Some series won't record. For example, the wife likes to record her days of our life episodes and when she sets it to record as a series, the very next day the recording did not show up. This has happened a few times already. We never experienced this issue with our old 8300.
Although some shows are new they dont display the new icon which leads me to believe that by selecting only new recordings will ignore all. Try selecing record in current time slot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
non pvr whp playback error

I have the same issue.....

Most shows will play back, but about 20% have that system error or not enough resourses.

Can't figure it out, just something Rogers needs to fix, problem is they don't know they need to fix it.

TDK

·
Registered
17 Posts
We got the whole home PVR set up last week with one 8642 and one 4642, and up until now it's been working great.

This morning though, we're having the issue where recorded shows can't be played on the 4642. We can browse the list of shows, tell one to play, but then it says the show can't be played because it may have been deleted, or lack of resources.

I just tried rebooting both boxes, but that doesn't seem to have helped... how many others are having this issue?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Ok as for the filter install part "if" the lines all go back to 1 location ad there isnt a location were a 2wy is used for rhp or hsi then yes 1 filter will do if you have a mdm @ a tv then yes another filter is needed if there is a line that is split to 2 rooms and only 1 dstb is cisco then yes another filter is needs

as i said before
ONLY cisco boxes can be in network no other boxes modems ect.....................

·
Registered
111 Posts
It just happened to me about 20 mins ago. First time it's every happened. I rebooted the 4642 and the shows I was trying to play are now gone from the PVR list.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Things to be known about whole home pvr set-up

Ok everyone there is a few facts bout the whole homepvr set-up
1-the moce network is designed so ONLY Cisco hd boxes are in the network with luck there is only 1 filter used there is exceptions this ex: if you have your mdm beside a tv the modem needs to be moca'd!
2-these installs with luck should be 1-1.5 hrs "if" everything is correct on order most times they take longer if the new rtn update doesnt work and there needs to be a case number created
3-After install is done you as a customer CAN NOT swap a piece of equipment at a rogers store (this is in term and condtions)
4-techs dont carry the external hard drive or tablet (if you got this deal)
5-heard this from a customer -after a power outage there boxes all rebooted back to sara and lost rtn
6-these networks may not work on rg59 if you house is wired in rg59 these installs may NOT work all line to 1 point of entry

** the filters are the same size and shape as a trap w (mdm filter) except have a red band please see attached pictures these filters say "DO NOT REMOVE filter is required for multi room dvr "

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
258 Posts
Recording Setup

Stempy,

Ref the recording issue. The the problem could be solved by changing the default series settup from new episodes to all episodes, that way all recordings will be taped, new and old.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
6-these networks will not work on rg59 if you house is wired in rg59 these installs will NOT work all line to 1 point of entry (network cant be carried over rg59 )
I have rg59 running through my house and whpvr working on 4 boxes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
you may get issues over this when they did testing wouldnt go over 35ft then sometimes worked this is a scetchy area!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Assuming it's not crappy damaged RG59, it should usually work fine over RG59, but over shorter distances.

RG6 is recommended, but it should be noted that the signal attenuation at 1.1 GHz over 35 feet is only about 0.6 dB more for RG59, vs. RG6. For 100 feet it's more like 1.7 dB though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
rg59 does cause issue for everything and eug as i tech i have seen the diffrences during studies! thanks rg6 you loose 2db;over 100ft and 59 will loose 3-4dbs over a 100ft and with the pvr setup will cause issues with sending the signal back and forth!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
RG59 does not "cause issue for everything". Lots of people have RG59 in the home and works just fine. The same is true for MoCA as well. Remember, not everyone has runs of 100 feet in their homes. If you live in a small bungalow for example, it's quite plausible that your longest run might be only 50 feet.

Ideally, you should run RG6, but if you have pre-existing RG59 you may as well try it, even for whole home PVR. It's not as if you need 150 Mbps support for whole home PVR anyway. There's a good chance it will work just fine. If it does, there is no need to upgrade everything to RG6. stempy is a prime example of this. He only has RG59, and everything works just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was about to retract my own posting on using rg59. The pvr that was hooked up using this cable was accessing the list of recordings on other tv's but was not able to play them "not enough resources available". Other pvr only able to see one recording from that box but could not play same issue. In fact changed name of the box, which others cant see either. So i went to buy rg6, same problem. Called rogers, had me to a reset, same issue, they have passed it off to engineering which will call back 24-48hrs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Im going to end it @ this im not saying it wont work im say "CAN" cause issue! as this was proven in testing i am a tech and HAVE seen this! case closed! if you re trying to challange me to something go ahead! i have been doing this long enough to know what i am talking about !
i started this thread before it was posted to the public on rogers website about the whole home pvr system thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I will be moving soon, and at the new house I will get the whole home PVR. Rogers is dreaming if they think I paying the fee though. Since I am moving, I have been told I have to have a tech come anyway!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If you have internet with rogers and if you're transferring that service to another address there is actually a code that reps use to waive the internet install fee and activation fee for transfers. Due to the way the billing system works, that code will act as a blanket and waive all install fees for everything in the same work order.

301 - 320 of 997 Posts