Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is what i would like ...

1: to buy my own unlocked GSM/HSPA CP (I have no use for CDMA phones)
2: get a prepaid plan that will have unlimited incoming calls.

So far, i believe that Virgin is my best option. Problem is they will not accept a non-CDMA phone on their prepaid plans. They will however accept me on a postpaid plan without having to lock into a lengthly contract.
The phone i hope/plan to get is an unlocked Motorola V9x from TigerDirect.ca @$240 and get onto a $20 myPlan w/$10 add-on for unlim incoming calls with Virgin.
Talked to many store operators, virgin reps and general public and i am hearing way too many conflicting stories, from "it will never work" to "they don't allow that" but nothing on the virgin site would suggest what i would like to do, is not doable. I can't see why this wouldn't work.
I was thinking of buying a Virgin SIM($5?) and taking it with me to TigerDirect and simply inserting it in the V9x I plan to buy as a test. A small investment to reassure that things will work.

Can anyone here suggest a better option or foresee a roadblock. It all seems very logical and sound to me...

Deciding soon ... Marc

;) just want to add ... WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO BUY UNLOCKED CPS HERE?? I just came back from spending 4 years in the Philippines and i gotta tell you, they have it ALL THERE when it comes to CPs!!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Virgin is Bell, so it's CDMA, not GSM. That phone is GSM, so your options are Rogers or their second string Fido or some company that buys bandwidth from Rogers. It will not work on Virgin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Virgin is Bell, so it's CDMA, not GSM. That phone is GSM, so your options are Rogers or their second string Fido or some company that buys bandwidth from Rogers. It will not work on Virgin.
Where have you been?

Telus/Bell launched their new HSPA+ Network (UMTS, the 3G evolution of GSM) back in november, and Virgin has been on board for a couple months now.

And to the OP, it's highly unlikely you'll find unlocked phones anywhere in Canada. You need to either unlock it yourself via a code bought online, or buy an unlocked one off of Ebay etc. I've also heard of some businesses that can do a physical unlock somehow..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The phone the OP is intending to buy is a 2G GSM phone and will not work on Bell's HSPA network. That means Virgin is out of the question.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Where have you been?
Take a look at that phone. It's just plain GSM, which the new networks don't support. Also, it's not too hard to find unlocked phones in Canada. You just can't buy them through the cell companies or their dealers. Factory Direct is one place that's had them for years and the OP is planning on buying from Tiger Direct. However, you'll generally pay more than you would for a locked phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motorola V9x

As it turns out, the V9x is indeed an HSPA phone and the North American version supports HSPA 850-1900 + quad-band GSM. The Motorola site has missing info... I called them.

I have an oddball phone from Wind Mobile right now that supports HSPA(2100?) and all 4 GSM bands but is locked to WM.
Phone is a Huawei U1250-9... how to unlock this one here in Canada??

Wind Mobile will unlock it AFTER a 3 month active connection, unfortunately, i moved out of the Toronto Area 2 weeks after getting the phone and ... well... there goes that idea :(.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at that phone. It's just plain GSM, which the new networks don't support. Also, it's not too hard to find unlocked phones in Canada. You just can't buy them through the cell companies or their dealers. Factory Direct is one place that's had them for years and the OP is planning on buying from Tiger Direct. However, you'll generally pay more than you would for a locked phone.
thnx for the Factory Direct tip. really does sound like a basic GSM phone if relying on their info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
;)

OK, got the phone from Factory Direct, hit The Source soon afterwards and after a few hurddles, i am online with Virgin Mobile !!
:p:p:p... Cheers

NEXT STEP ... Debrand this thing and hope for a better GUI. Not that ATT sucks, but it is completely useless here in Canada(w/Virgin) and i would have to say that 2/3 of the icons on the phone are AT&T specific. I don't even care if i lose the GPS mapping/helper/?!#@&@!/function

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
it's highly unlikely you'll find unlocked phones anywhere in Canada
I just bought a Google Nexus One which is unlocked and, as mentioned in another thread, the iPhone will also be unlocked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought a Google Nexus One which is unlocked and, as mentioned in another thread, the iPhone will also be unlocked.
That's definately a great start in the market, but until the iPhone 4 is available, unlocked phones are still (for the most part) online.

And the OP specifically said he was looking to buy an unlocked GSM/HSPA phone to use on a Canadian carrier. He provided an example of the Motorola V9x to use on Virgin. You shot him down by saying that Virgin is CDMA. That is why I clarified earlier. He could still find an unlocked NAM 3G phone online to use on Virgin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts