Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my question is simple, were looking to add digital cable to our internet and phone. Were currently with Telus for both internet and phone. One of the main reasons we are looking to stay with Telus is because they will give us a PVR and because they can run cable through my XBOX so that covers 2 of the 4 TV's that will be used. Meanwhile they agreed to upgrade our internet package as the one we have is under-par. I mean lets face it, im in the basement suit with my wife, upstairs is the owners and there 2 sons thats a total of 6 adults. we all have our own computer and the father and 2 sons upstairs play on-line computer games often...almost daily. Im regularly using the internet either the computer for downloading of just surfing the net as does the wife and i also use if for on-line gaming through the XBOX.

Long and the shorts of it is Shaw wont provide any unit to us, well have to buy/rent one for each TV (x4). The problem is i have used Shaw in the past and have had no problems, the owners upstairs want telus which i dont have anything nice to say about them except that i wont have to pay the extra monthy fee as they can hook up TV through my XBOX.

Also wondering what anyone may say about either companies, Pros and Cons, or if Bell or Rogers might be the better pick. Also, i dont think the HD is in our interest, it would be for me but again then i need to rent a machine for my TV as XBOX only displays in 720p and wouldnt do justice on my 1080p Plasma. The people upstairs just aren't interested, in fact they almost dont even care for the digital...too new age for them perhaps.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm no expert, but I thought I'd chime in on the 720p vs 1080p part. This might not be accurate lately, but I don't think any broadcasters are carrying any 1080p content yet.

Here in Winnipeg, the MTS Ultimate TV receiver only has the option to output 720p or 1080i, no 1080p.

Just some food for thought, though. IMO, 720p is a big enough improvement from 480i, so I don't think the average person will notice a difference between 720p and 1080i.

Oh, and being able to use your console as a STB is sweet! Wonder if MTS will eventually have that option.

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.