Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Tsn/Sportsnet shares the games with Setanta for the round of 16. and that the semis and final are not shown on setanta, but waht about teh quarterfinals? any ideas?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Quarterfinals will be on TSN, Sportsnet and Setanta. The pick selections will go as follows (assuming the trend that has happened all season continues)

Tuesday April 5
1st pick - TSN
2nd pick - Setanta

Wednesday April 6
1st pick - Setanta
2nd pick - Sportsnet

Tuesday April 12
1st pick - Setanta
2nd pick - TSN

Wednesday April 13
1st pick - Sportsnet
2nd pick - Setanta

So, basically it is possible Setanta will get the same two matches and TSN and Sportsnet will split the other two. However, thing could change depending on what happens in the first legs.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've also been in contact with Setanta about the semifinals. Setanta will have 2 semi final matches (one each leg), TSN and Sportsnet will have one each. They won't decide exactly how they will be divided up until after the quarters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is the email they sent me on feb 28:

Many thanks for your email to Setanta. We have second pick on the Champions League games so our coverage finishes at the Quarter Final stage. We do not broadcast either of the Semi Finals or the Final.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Are you sure it was sent to Setanta Canada? Setanta Ireland only has second pick. Setanta Canada has 1st pick on Tuesday or Wednesday every matchday. This has been confirmed to me multiple times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nb josh, i just double checked and it definitely wasnt setanta ireland, it was setanta canada. maybe it could be that setanta online and setanta the tv channel have diff schedules although that wouldnt make sense? heres the email address it went to: [email protected] and the person who answered me was cathal

·
Registered
689 Posts
Rogers Sportsnet is showing the Real Madrid v Olympique Lyonnais match right now. At present there is a ridiculously oversized Sportsnet graphic at the top centre of the screen that is constantly blocking the view of the ball and player movement. If they are not showing a completely unnecessary bottom line ticker they are showing oversized graphics that results in blind spots on the pitch. Why, oh why do these channels do such things?:mad:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
TSN, Setanta and RDS all have good-sized graphics for Champions League. TSN's is actually almost too small. So does Fox in the States, Sky in the UK etc. Sportsnet is the only network I've ever seen use a bar. As for a bottomline, I've never seen any channel except ESPN2/Deportes/Classic do that. TSN actually picked up ESPN International feeds to avoid it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
TSN's is actually almost too small.
There's no such thing as too small.

As for a bottomline, I've never seen any channel except ESPN2/Deportes/Classic do that. TSN actually picked up ESPN International feeds to avoid it.
In the past TSN has picked up plenty of sporting events from ESPN that have included a bottom line. I don't think they do it as much anymore (eg tennis) presumably because viewers hate it.

All their graphic does is remind viewers that Rogers is all about branding and that Sportsnet is cheesy and amateurish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
can-setanta-i is the email address for Setanta-i the online version of Setanta Sports. I don't believe they have Champions League coverage in Canada.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
There is such a thing as too small when you can't read the aggregate score, especially if you get home partway through the match. Not such a big issue with Champions League because UEFA puts it at the bottom of the screen every 10 minutes, but it is with other leagues.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Setanta also has both legs of Inter-Schalke. TSN and Sportsnet will split up Barcelona-Shakhtar and Real Madrid-Tottenham with the Tuesday legs on TSN (or TSN2) and the Wednesday legs on Sportsnet.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Semis on tv?

Was hoping to watch the real vs barca game today and don't see it on any sports channels at all. Can't believe it.

Edit, never mind, I see that it's showing on setanta.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Setanta are doing it on the cheap as well. It's half time between Real and Barca and they are just showing magazine filler instead of having a panel. That's probably due to the match mostly being covered in Europe by terrestrial/OTA channels Setanta doesn't have deals with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts