Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have iPhone with Rogers and want to switch to less expensive service. Does any of new carriers support GSM (like iPhone)?
Can I transfer my existing phone number to new provider?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The other providers that support GSM are Chatr (though not sure if they'd allow an iPhone since they don't offer any data service), and 7-11 Speakout Wireless. Wind uses different frequencies and thus the iPhone is incompatible with them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yup, you can go to Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin, but they are in no way less expensive than Rogers. Wind and Mobilicity are and they have data, but iPhone does not work on their frequencies. 7-11, Canadian tire and Chatr are GSM and iPhone works on them, but no data.
Besides, going with Chatr is a deadly sin. :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Be aware that Rogers will charge you two penalties...one for the data plan ($100) and also $20/month for the duration of your contract.

Arthur Dent, are you sure about Virgin? I thought they were only using that old CDMA network...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99semaj, I already paid that 100 bucks when I cancelled data plan. I am watching contract expiry date and will cancel it as soon as it comes up. Won't go Chatr since it is Rogers again with different name.

Also, I am after voice and texting only, not data.

Doesn't everybody find strange that any new companies do not support GSM and all major carriers switched already since they recognized that it is the world's format and everybody is using it?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
AIUI, GSM is on the way out. The goal is to move to 4G phones, which will be voice over IP.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately both 7-11 and Petrocanada will not accept phone. You have to buy one from them. That would be fine, it's just that I am totally hooked up on iPhone

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You can purchase a SIM card for 7-11 or Petro Canada from someone online, or buy the cheapest phone from their lineup and use its card. You need to make sure you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone first.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now this is good advice! Again, I wouldn't mind buying their phone in the first place but would really like to keep iPhone. It is more than phone to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
You can actually get WAP browsing for $5/month but I don't know if it would work with the iPhone 4. The SIM should work perfectly for talk and text with an unlocked iPhone 4 however.

7-11's service is known as Speakout Wireless. Since they are a Rogers MNVO they may even work with locked Rogers phones, but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
TorontoColin's info is correct....7-11 sim works fine in iphone for text and voice- i have a 3G with iOS 4.0.1.
Don't have the WAP data service.
7-11 Sim worked in my locked Rogers 3G phone last year but not sure if the locked Rogers phones they sell today are the same...
See this website for more info on speakout- http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Support for iPhone - new carriers?

Hi there,
Want to go away from Rogers. They received waaaay too much of my money.
Who of new carriers supports iPhone? Sorry about asking same thing again, wouldn't you expect for new carriers to go GSM with iPhone included?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi there,
Want to go away from Rogers. They received waaaay too much of my money.
Who of new carriers supports iPhone? Sorry about asking same thing again, wouldn't you expect for new carriers to go GSM with iPhone included?
If by new carriers you mean Wind, Mobilicity, or Public Mobile, then none of their networks support the iPhone. It is on the incorrect frequency. Either will Videotron or Shaw when they launch.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The new carriers all use HSPA on the AWS (1700) frequency, with the exception of Public who use CDMA. The iPhone works on the 850 MHz frequency and is incompatible with the new carriers, who had no choice in which spectrum to use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts