Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start getting good quality mp3s to fill in my music collection. Most of the "free" sites have low-quality sound . .. if you can even find what you're looking for. I know that I-tunes, Napster, etc. have good service but I think $1.00 a song is rediculous . . ..especially for older music.

Has anyone had good luck with other such services that they'd recommend? Maybe someone who charges $30.00 a year or such to download whatever you want? Or am I just dreaming?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm a recent convert to Limewire. I believe it's still legal for Canadians to download but not upload (I could be wrong though), so I don't enable sharing. It's easy to use and there is new stuff all the time as well as older tunes.

Check it out.

·
Banned
218 Posts
jeff1960 said:
I'd like to start getting good quality mp3s to fill in my music collection. Most of the "free" sites have low-quality sound . .. if you can even find what you're looking for. I know that I-tunes, Napster, etc. have good service but I think $1.00 a song is rediculous . . ..especially for older music.

Has anyone had good luck with other such services that they'd recommend? Maybe someone who charges $30.00 a year or such to download whatever you want? Or am I just dreaming?
Check out allofmp3.com... a lot of folks including me and my friends swear by it. You can even choose the bitrate (192, 256, 320 kbps) you want and it will encode your selection on the fly. Its legality has been debated on the internet but it will cost you much less than $1.00 per song.

·
Registered
213 Posts
birdman said:
I'm a recent convert to Limewire. I believe it's still legal for Canadians to download but not upload (I could be wrong though), so I don't enable sharing. It's easy to use and there is new stuff all the time as well as older tunes.

Check it out.
Ditto, Limewire works for me, it's very rare to download a bad file, and you can search by quality to weed out the lower quality files.

What kind of music are you looking for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best MP3 site

Go to your local library. I live in the greater Vancouver area. In this area alone you can pick from Vancouver, New Westminster, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver City, North Vancouver district, Richmond, Fraser Valley, as well as a few other public libraries. You can choose from thousands of cd's, rip them perfectly yourself and all for FREE.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
birdman said:

Check it out.
OK, I checked it out . . .. AND I LIKE IT!! :) So far so good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks like we're on the verge of changing laws in Canada.

The courts have outlined the evidence the recording industry needs to present to prove a bona-fide case and court order ISPs to release identities. The government is passing legislation that should allow Canada to ratify the WIPO treaties.

This could well be the beginning of the end for the quasi-legality of downloading copyrighted works over P2P in Canada.

John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I think the law will read that it's illegal to share the files, not to download them for your own use. I have no problem not sharing what I already have. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
jeff1960 said:
OK, I checked it out . . .. AND I LIKE IT!! :) So far so good.
Great! Happy you like it. I am on it almost every nite now. I leave my firewall up and cherry pick those tunes I want to download.

I feel bad not sharing but if sharing is illegal, well ....

What I like most about it is, it's easy and quick with hi-speed internet, I'm on Shaw Extreme.

Think of a tune; grab it. That cool music from that soundtrack from last week's DVD, grab it, that new band you caught a glimpse of on Much, there's that song, grab it.

I have bought a couple of CDs so far as a direct result of some of the new music I've been exposed to so I'm not a total vulture,( pardon the pun).

·
Banned
247 Posts
cyclocommuter said:
Check out allofmp3.com...
Wow, this place is amazing. This can't really be fully legal can it? Its probably as legal as downloading from kazaa or something like that, accept you are paying for the convenience of having everything in one place and good quality.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi:

It is a Russian site so I am very skeptical as to the legality of buying from there. Also, they sell every Metallica album and I was under the impression that Metallica has never licensed its music for internet DL.

I add my vote to Limewire for singles.

I haven't seen any sites that offer songs for less than about a buck each. I find the Canadian sites usually sell for the same price as the US - but without the exchange - so you save a bit. Bonfire has lots of music .

·
Registered
380 Posts
A recent USA Today article after the US Supreme court decision highlighted the most and least vulnerable downloading sites on the net.

Limewire was the least vulnerable site to persecu.. er, prosecution.

E-donkey was the most vulnerable, with the others falling somewhere in between. Curiously Bit-torrent was not that vulnerable because they may be positioning themselves to be the legal conduit for the movie studios to stream movies on a pay-basis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well if you are just listening to your music on a computer the napster subscription service can be convenient. its $10 a month and you get unlimited downloads. There are limitations though, you cannot remove it from your computer and if you end your subscription then your collection is unaccessable.]

If you have one of the hard drive players (zen micro, iriver h10 or dell dj) you can get the napster to go service for $15 a month. It is the same as the regular one except you can transfer it to your device

·
Registered
81 Posts
russian site rare beef

i use all of mp3.. really like it..... my largest beef with all music dl sites older rare music is non existant...old napster was the best.. to bad you could not pay for that selection volume today...

4 posts 6 to go

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like to use emusic. It's based in the States and it's mainly indie music, so it's good if you're into that. There isn't a lot of top 40, mainstream stuff there, but it's worth checking out. When I signed up they let me try out 50 tracks free until they started billing (you can cancel after the 50 free and not get billed).

They do MP3 format in VBR around 192 or so - no DRM. They have different plans - the basic one (which I'm on) is $9.99 US per month which gives you 40 tracks each month, so $.25 per track (or lower if you sign up for a bigger plan). I had no problem signing on as a Canadian and there are Canadian artists available. I tend to use it for the stuff that I would have to have imported to the music store or pay around $20 per album for - on emusic it's about $3 per album.

I think it's much more legit than allofmp3 because the labels involved all have agreements with emusic to distribute their music. If they don't have the license to have it distributed to a certain country on emusic then users from that country are blocked from purchasing/downloading it, but that hasn't happened to me as a Canadian yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
VISA problems with allofmp3.com??

I signed up to try and use allofmp3.com this weekend, but had an issue when trying to add money to my balance by VISA.

When the "Verified by Visa" screen came up it showed the amount as being something like $729.14 rather than the $25 I was trying to add!!:confused: Anybody else using their VISA on this site with similar issues? or no issues at all?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts