Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... On certain channels I see this white line I guess thats the best description I can think of . Is their a fix for it or is it something serious ? Now I did a bit of research and I believe it has to do with " overscan " not sure exactly what that is as of yet but if this is a serious problem is it best while I can take the tv back or can this be fixed ? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I think I fixed the problem after someone else mention to me to check my display area and I notice the setting was set at Full Pixel , Once I changed to Normal the line went away ....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Assuming you have a Blu-ray player connected to your LCD you should set that input to full pixel. The TV should remember the different settings depending on the input in use.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The price you pay for not wanting to see the white lines is the loss of 1 million pixels of information. Only full pixel delivers 1080p images ... the 16:9 mode delivers 720p quality.

regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys and thanks for your info ... Let me try to understand what both are saying . The use for full Pixel should apply towards using a Blu-ray player ? Not for the TV signal 1080i . Am I correct ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The dots tend to show up on SD programs and not many hd programs except commercials during the show. they are harmless but if you want to get rid of them premanently ... you degrade the image to 720p quality ... on hd programs.

If losing 1 million pixels of detail appeals to you as a fair trade off ...then do not use full pixel for cable or satellite programming.

If you want the best quality hd image ... you stay on full pixel ...

regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I see , So your saying by me setting the display area screen to normal I'm not getting the full HD image but rather 720p image quality and not using the full extent of my HDTV . One question than is their a way not to see the white line when its on full pixel mode ? I was watching Dragons' Den on CBC and notice it , thanks

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Just set your cable input to "Normal" and your Blu-ray to "Full Pixel" and you'll be fine. No more white lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cooper thanks for your input but i'm confused . What you mean my cable input ? Are you talking about setting my Rogers reciever to normal ? At the moment I don't have a blu ray player . I'm just using my HDTV only and the setting I was talking about were from the TV unit itself, thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I got what you mean now , when I am watching TV just have it on normal but when or whenever I do decide to get a blu-ray player set it to full pixel, right ? thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

If you want further degraded cable signals .. then you would set it to normal for that source. If you want no further degradation ... then you leave it on full pixel all the time and live with it.

It's like the time cost quality triangle. You cannot have something that is speedy and cheap and and best quality.

regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input . I'm just learning this stuff and thats why I am asking all kinds of questions . Let me ask this than . This white, gray thin line above the screen , Is it something that will cause problems later on ( Major problems ) ? What I am trying to say if you had the option still to take the TV back , would you ? Or is this something that happens to all HDTV's ? Because when I don't see this whatever you call it line above the screen , the TV picture look great but than again I wouldn't know much when comparing with other units . Its my first HDTV . Though thanks goes to all with your input :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boy, Is their so much to digest with newbies like myself with TV now a days . I did a little more research on the matter and from what I gather this is an old problem that some others get to and its not a bad TV issue . One person mention this ..

Its a closed captioning encoded in line 1 of the feed. It is extremely common to see it on HDTVs with little or no inherent overscan on Standard Definition content. From what I'm told (and my own personal experience with this issue on my LCD), I rarely (if ever) have this issue on 16:9 HD shows. I only see it on upconverted Standard Definition . Its best just to ignore it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Michael, no disrespect, but he's not asking about signal degradation. He wants to eliminate the white lines.

Yes, it's a trade-off. But how much? Is it noticeable? Does it matter, as long as the white lines are gone?

when I am watching TV just have it on normal but when or whenever I do decide to get a blu-ray player set it to full pixel, right ?
Exactly!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

No disrespect taken ... and the response outlines the trade off he has to deal with if he choses to get rid of it.

Solutions are not always without trade-offs ... more information for him to make a more informed decision.

That can't be a bad thing. :)

Some people will degrade the quality of everything they watch so that a 15 sec commercial looks right ... and that is just wrong thinking. :)

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts