Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I live midtown Toronto - Santa brought me a nice Dell ST2320Lf computer monitor with HDMI, VGA and DVI inputs.

I plan to use my Xmas money to buy a CM 4220 aerial.

I already own a pair of computer speakers with a 3.5mm plug.

So I understand that to receive OTA I now need a tuner - which one would the experts advise to put a TV signal into my new Dell monitor? (I have a budget of around $100)

all the best

Phil

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well, since it is just a monitor, one thing is, to connect it to your computer, and your computer serves as the media outlet. From there, depending on the type of computer you have (CPU, Graphics card capabilities (is it hardware accelerated) OS used, RAM, etc) you could either get an external USB type of tuner, or a internal card tuner solution.

For my media machines, I have a Hauppauge HVR-1250 in each and I'm very pleased with the card. Other, if using a laptop use the USB tuner. I've heard many positives for the Hauppauge 950 USB stick. But there are other products.

The other option is to purchase a converter box, or some other box that has an ATSC digital tuner. Then you connect your antenna to that, and make the appropriate video/audio connections between the converter/tuner box and your monitor.

Basically we need to know more info on what your connecting your antenna to.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I recommend a Hauppauge HVR-2250. It has a hardware analog encoder, two tuners and an FM tuner. The HVR-1250 is a single tuner with software analog encoding (loads the CPU) and has no FM tuner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Marbles,

Thanks for helping - its a bit of a maze - I have been reading and rereading the forum, but thought best to ask for help before spending the xmas $s.

I have an Apple MacBook (with a dead screen - thats why I got the Dell monitor) - so it sounds like I should go for the USB stick (but when I look at the Hauppauge 950 USB stick it seems to only work with Windows).

Do you know of/where I should look for a Mac based solution?

thanks again

Phil

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You could look into the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus, the Miglia TV Mini HD Express and the Equinux USB TubeStick. Some of these are ATSC (digital TV) only while others support video capture and analog TV.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't know if my input will help, but I picked up a used EyeTV 250 Plus for my Mac, which has an ATSC tuner in it, apparently.

I don't have an antenna to see if I can pick anything up, although it would be nice. I'm using it as a makeshift PVR for my iMac, until I can get MTS Ultimate TV. It's quite a bit more cumbersome compared to a cable providers PVR service, but it does the trick.

It's a USB device, and is compatible with Mac. It has a hardware encoder built into it, so it doesn't bog down the computer like the other USB units without encoders built in.

It can receive OTA HD signals, but AFAIK doesn't output HD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could look into the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus, the Miglia TV Mini HD Express and the Equinux USB TubeStick. Some of these are ATSC (digital TV) only while others support video capture and analog TV.
Duesseldorf - Please let us know what you decided to go with. I am thinking about getting some sort of external USB tuner for my MacPro and would appreciate an update on what you got and how things worked out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts