Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I bought the Pentax Optio W90 for my family for Christmas, and am now in the position of having to buy a memory card for it. I didn't even think to figure this out before I bought it, so now I'm a bit lost. The salesperson who sold it to me said I should get a class 6 or above, and I want it to hold a lot of pics and video when we are on our trip to Hawaii. So, I'm thinking at least 16 Gb. Should I be looking at class 10, or is that necessary? The camera itself does 720p video. I don't know much about this side of cameras...I just learned there were different classes to the cards!

Any advice MUCH appreciated so I don't screw up the Christmas surprise!! (And if anyone can point me to who has the best prices, that'd be great too!!)

TIA,

Mel

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This is a good topic (if it hasn't been covered before).

Is class 6 enough for HD video?

Is SDHC enough for 720p and 1080p/i video? Or do you need SDXC?

What do people here use - use one large card, or carry two or three medium sized cards? Why?

A lot of cameras have the memory card in the same area as the battery, which is very often so close to the tripod mount that you can't open the cover if you have anything screwed into the tripod mount. Does this force you to go with one very large (32Gb+) card?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rfielder,

Glad you posed the questions that way. My thoughts were that I should use just one card, so I don't have to open it up as often...given that its a waterproof camera I thought better to not have to open it and potentially allow sand and water in. But the bigger cards are so expensive, and I guess the battery will need to be recharged often so perhaps that's a moot point...

Any insight to this topic would be appreciated. I'd like to buy a card soon!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
When I bought my Kodak ZX3 PlaySport recently, I didn't even think of which class to get. I ended up with the cheapest 8GB I by a brand name I recognized and it's only a Class 2. Seems to work fine. Would I notice a difference with a higher-class card? Does it make a difference in entry-level gear like pocket camcorders?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts