Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I have a budget of $5-700 and want the best bang for my buck. Which HD camcorder would be recommended?

Would you recommend HDD or SDHC?
(ie. GZ-HD30U / HDCHS9S / HF100)

Thanks for tips/thoughts/suggestions.

HR

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I picked up the GZ-HD10 @ visions for $548... $300/off and even though it doesn't have MPEG-2 I think I'll survive :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep an eye out for a Canon HF-100. I purchased one from Newegg for $646 Ca. a month ago. They are out of stock now but there is a Ca. retailer selling them for $700, which I forget who it is. This model is HD and SDHC memory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Canon, Sony, JVC, etc all have new 2009 camcorders out now with new features. I picked up a new 2009 Sony HDRCX 100B flash memory camcorder and am really pleased with it.

DaveS

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need a camcorder.

Hi Folks,

I want to buy a camcorder. Please advice.

I want to have the following features:

It has to be fully HIGH DEFINITION (1080i),
I do NOT need professional level camcorder which will cost more than $ 1600.
VERY GOOD vdo quality,
Must be good in low light conditions,
Good optical zoom (above 10 X)
Having internal memory is good.
I dont like DVD.
Flash/SDHC/dual flash/hard-disk preferable. (on this order)
I will use it (most probably) as a travel camcorder. I may not use it for functions or events. Next week, I am travelling to England, like to take scenaries/London city.
I dont like BULK size, but at the same time, I dont like VERY SMALL one which may not have good features.
I will not (most probably) use tripod for this.
I will keep this camcorder atleast for the next 10 years.
My budget is $ 800 - 1000 (Canadian)

so far I checked 2 models: Canon VIXIA HF20 and HF200,

I did not check Sony or Panasonic.

I am not saying that I need either HF20 or HF200.

If you can advice me on this, and if anybody has any idea of Sony or Panasonic or even other models in Canon or JVC, please give me a clue.

Regards

Suresh.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Consider Sanyo Xacti. I know only 720P but at $339 (I got it for less) it is a good value. Nothing should be expected to be good for 10 years in tech. Get a deal and use it for 3-4 years and move on.
I have a 10 year old laptop left over and no one would want to consider using it except maybe for email. It's a dinosaur just like a camcorder will be in 10 years.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
risuresh, I would get an AVCHD camcorder from Panasonic, Canon or Sony. (search on this forum for threads detailing camcorders from each company)

They all record 1920 x 1080p and will meet your requirements. Which model is pretty much a personal decision but if you try them out in the store you will get a good sense of which one you like. The deciding factor is more likely to be on screen navigation, menuing options and how it fits in your hand rather than size (they are all small) or video quality (they are all good in the $1,000 range).

I suggest getting a flash based unit because they are so light and flash memory is becoming so cheap. A 16GB card will record a lot of video!

If you are considering a Panasonic then note that some of their sensing technologies are different which is the subject of some debate. Personally, I have seen the results of video shot by the AVCHD camcorders of all three companies and from a consumers perspective the video is top notch from all three.

·
Registered
5 Posts
appologies

thank you so much for the precious answers. I really appreciate. However, by mistake I posted this question under somebody else's thread, which I should not have done. I am posting this question again.

Suresh

·
Registered
5 Posts
HF20 vs HF200

Hi,

Please let me know whether

Canon VIXIA HF20 and
Canon VIXIA HF200

are 100% identical (except for the 32GB internal flash memory). If so, I'll be buying the one without internal memory since the price difference doesn't make any sense for the 32 Gb internal flash memory.

Or is there any specific advantage in preferring internal flash memory over external SDHC card?

Please advice. By this Sunday I have to buy one.

Thanks in advance.

Suresh.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
There is a thread on these camcorders to discuss but my understanding is that the only difference is the internal memory.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm preparing a shoot-out review of the Canon HF200 and the Sanyo Xacti VPC-TH1 this week. I was hoping to finish it by tomorrow night, but the weather wasn't cooperating as much as I would have liked.

No, I'm not going to tell you what I think of them just yet. You'll have to wait for the review. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a Canon HG21 120 hdd and memory card also. I like it a lot
auto focusing is the best on the canons, compared to the sony which seems to hunt too much at times.
But you need a quad core pc or i7 even better, or can use imove with imacs too, but it converts to apple codec and the files are a lot larger,

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Francois, thanks for the video you made.

I take it the HF20 test would be the same as the HF200?

Just how much processing power would the Canon software require?

I'm running Windows XP, Intel Dual Core 6600 @ 2.4 GHZ with 2GB Ram. Is that going to work ok?

Otherwise I'll probably get the HF20.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE: Which HD camcorder to buy discussion / I need a camcorder

First I'd suggest you research formats for recording HD video and audio.

What I found helpful for AVCHD was understanding the different levels and bit rate along with the strengths and limitations of the AVCHD format.

AVCHD Format Specification Overview
http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html

Wiki AVCHD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Once you understanding HD video recording you will then be able to take this knowledge, explore various recording options and weed through all the marketing hype.

Then really consider how the camera will be used, how/who will carry the camera and especially if using a Mac or Linux system what hardware/software is required to edit the recordings.

I have owned the Canon VIXIA HG21 120 GB HDD camcorder since since 21 Nov 2008. I do not have any issues with the camera that could be satisfied from any other brand/model (general issues with all camcorders; battery life, physical size, hard drive capacity, recording media - hard drive not SSD or ExpressCard/34). Everyone who sees the footage on my 52" TV or YouTube is amazed at the clarity of the picture. I initially was recording everything in 1080/24p but switched to 1080/30p. Still as of today I truly believe this is the best unit on the market for it's size and price.

My friend has the KODAK Zi6, really amazing piece of hardware. I'll definitely be picking up the newer KODAK Zi8 on boxing day this year or possibly earlier if I see a decent deal.

Earlier this year I heard JVC was releasing a 1080/60p AVCHD camcorder though I'm not sure how that's going to turn out as I don't see standardized AVCHD supporting this format as of yet. Could be proprietary which may require the use of their software for editing.

Good luck with the decision and let us know what you pickup.

Cheers,

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe I'll just get a regular SD camera then. I don't want to have to upgrade my computer just to process these files.

I have:

E6600 duo core 2.4 GHZ
2GB ram
512 MB Radeon video card
windows xp.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Maybe I'll just get a regular SD camera then. I don't want to have to upgrade my computer just to process these files.

I have:

E6600 duo core 2.4 GHZ
2GB ram
512 MB Radeon video card
windows xp.
I wouldn't know how well your computer could handle the Canon software since I never use it. I prefer to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

Viewing the raw files natively will most likely be out of the question. But you can still use editing software such as Sony Vegas to edit the footage and render it using a compression algorithm that will produce a file that will work flawlessly on most computers including your own.

My codec of choice is XviD set at Quantizer 4.00. The files are a bit bigger than they should be, but it allows me to render the final video very quickly, which is very useful if I'm on a deadline.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the xacti th1. Don't understand your doorstop results. It does everything I need well.
I did not spend a lot of time on your video comparisons. Night time is no contest from what I could see. The zooming was not a good comparison. The single red flower was shot about twice the size with the xacti compared to the Canon, but hey, to each his own, eh!
I will not be back to the canadian public, but I guess a few will. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts